This set of Microbiology Questions and Answers for Aptitude test focuses on “Therapeutic Drugs for Treatment of Fungal and Protozoan Diseases”.
1. Nystatin is effective in curing ____________
a) Deep mycoses
b) Dermatophyte infections
c) Systemic mycoses
d) Candida infections
Explanation: Nystatin is effective in topical Candida infections but not in deep mycoses or even dermatophyte infections.
2. Polyene antibiotics act on the plasma membrane of the fungus.
Explanation: Polyene antibiotics like the nystatin and amphotericin B act on the plasma membrane of the fungus, combining with membrane sterols, and cause leakage of intracellular potassium and other metabolites.
3. 5-fluorocytosine is which type of antibiotic?
b) pyrimidine antimetabolites
Explanation: 5-fluorocytosine is a type of pyrimidine antimetabolite which is especially effective in the treatment of yeast infections.
4. Which of the following antibiotics causes inhibition of ergosterol biosynthesis?
a) amphotericin B
Explanation: The mechanism of action for ketoconazole is inhibition of ergosterol biosynthesis, an important step in synthesis of fungal cell walls and membranes.
5. Miconazole is active against which of the following fungal infections?
Explanation: Miconazole is very active against coccidioidomycosis and paracoccidioidomycosis. It reacts with cytoplasmic membranes and causes them to leak.
6. The antibiotic griseofulvin is active against deep mycoses.
Explanation: The antibiotic griseofulvin is active against the dermatophyte infections (superficial skin infections) but not against the deep mycoses (systemic diseases caused by fungi).
7. Which drug is used for treatment of leishmaniasis?
a) chloroquine phosphate
d) sodium stibogluconate
Explanation: Leishmaniasis can be treated with the drug sodium stibogluconate. This drug is used for treatment of protozoan diseases.
8. Which of the following animallike flagellates has a flagellum originating from the midportion of the cell?
Explanation: The epimastigote has a flagellum originating from the midportion of the cell. It is a morphological stage of Leishmania and Trypanosoma.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice all areas of Microbiology for Aptitude test, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.