This set of Microbiology test focuses on “Endospore – Forming Gram – Positive Bacteria”.
1. Which of the following are mesophilic saprophytes?
Explanation: Bacillus subtilis are mesophilic saprophytes and are widely distributed in nature. This means they can grow best within a temperature range of approximately 25 to 40 degree Celsius.
2. Which of the following causes “milky disease” of Japanese beetle grubs?
Explanation: B.popilliae is a pathogenic species of Bacillus species that causes “milky disease” of Japanese beetle grubs.
3. Which of the following species is associated with spoilage of canned goods?
Explanation: B.stearothermophilus is a thermophilic species having a maximum of 65 to 75 degree Celsius. The endospores are highly resistant to heat and,therefore, this species is one of those associated with spoilage of canned goods.
4. Which of the following genus of species play an active role in the decomposition of urea?
Explanation: Sporosarcinae are widely distributed in fertile soil, where they play active role in the decomposition of urea.
5. C.perfringens is the major causative agent of __________________
c) gas gangrene
Explanation: Clostridium perfringens is the major causative agent of the wound infection known as gas gangrene.
6. Which of the following Clostridium species has the ability to fix Nitrogen?
Explanation: C.pasteurianum is a mesophilic soil clostridium that is particularly noted for its ability to fix Nitrogen.
7. The genus Desulfotomaculum obtain energy by anaerobic respiration.
Explanation: The members of the genus Desulfotomaculum obtain energy by anaerobic respiration, with sulphate serving as the terminal electron acceptor and organic substrates such as lactic or pyruvic acid serving as the electron donors.
8. Pseudomembranous colitis is a disease of _________________
Explanation: C.difficile causes pseudomembranous colitis,a severe disease of the bowel.
9. Bacillus species cannot fix Nitrogen.
Explanation: Bacillus polymyxa has the ability to fix Nitrogen under anaerobic conditions.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice all areas of Microbiology for tests, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.