This set of Microbiology Interview Questions and Answers for freshers focuses on “Energy Production by Anaerobic Processes”.
1. Glycolysis can occur in ___________
a) aerobic cells
b) anaerobic cells
c) both aerobic and anaerobic cells
d) neither aerobic and anaerobic cells
Explanation: Glycolysis does not require the presence of oxygen and therefore can occur in both aerobic and anaerobic cells.In anaerobic cells glucose is degraded into fermentation products and in aerobic cells glucose is degraded into carbon dioxide and water.
2. The step where glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate is oxidized is a substrate-level phosphorylation.
Explanation: The step where glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate is oxidized to 1,3-Biphosphoglycerate is an oxidative-level phosphorylation where a pair of electrons (two hydrogen atoms) is removed.
3. Xylulose-5-phosphate is an intermediate in ___________
b) Pentose Phosphate Pathway
c) Entner-Doudoroff Pathway
Explanation: Epimerization of ribulose-6-phosphate yields xylulose-5-phosphate and ribulose-5-phosphate in Pentose-phosphate pathway.These two compounds are the starting point for a series of transketolase and transaldolase reactions.
4. How many molecules of glucose-6-phosphate are regenerated in pentose-phosphate pathway?
Explanation: From 6 molecules of ribulose-5-phosphate, 5 molecules of glucose-6-phosphate are again regenerated.
5. Entner-Doudoroff pathway takes place only in procaryotes.
Explanation: Entner-Doudoroff pathway is found both in aerobic and anaerobic procaryotes, particularly among Gram-negative bacteria but not in eukaryotes.
6. Which of the following are propionic acid bacteria?
Explanation: Veillonella is a propionic acid bacteria which produces propionic acid, acetic acid and carbon dioxide as fermentation products.
7. What is the other name of glycolysis?
a) PPP cycle
b) TCA cycle
c) C4 cycle
d) EMP pathway
Explanation: EMP is named after the scientists that proposed the pathway, and they are Embden, Meyerhof, Parnas. It involves the conversion of Glucose into pyruvic acid.
8. How many ATPs are paid back during Pentose phosphate Pathway?
Explanation: One ATP is paid back for converting glucose into glucose-6-phosphate in the presence of hexokinase enzyme.
9. Stickland reaction is the alternative name for ________
a) Lactic acid fermentation
b) Alcoholic fermentation
c) Mixed acid fermentation
d) Amino acid fermentation
Explanation: Amino acid fermentation reaction is also known as Stickland reaction alternatively.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice all areas of Microbiology for Interviews, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.