This set of Microbiology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Microorganisms as Food”.
1. Which of the following microbe is used in the production of blue cheese?
a) Streptococcus thermophilus
b) Lactobacillus bulgaricus
c) Penicillium roqueforti
d) Rhizopus stolonifer
Explanation: For the production of blue cheese or Roquefort cheese, it is necessary to inoculate the curd with the microorganism, Penicillium roqueforti which brings about the necessary changes.
2. Pickled cucumber is made from fermented salt-stock pickles.
Explanation: Most commercial sweet,sour,mixed pickles are made from fermented salt-stock pickles.The other major type of pickled cucumber is the fermented dill pickle.
3. Bacterial cell grown on hydrocarbon wastes from the petroleum industry are a source of _____________
Explanation: The microorganisms can be cultivated on industrial wastes or by-products as nutrients and yield a large cell crop that is rich in protein.Bacterial cell grown on hydrocarbon wastes from the petroleum industry are a source of protein in France,Japan,Taiwan, and India.
4. Yeast-cell crops harvested from the vats is used to produce which of the following compounds?
a) alcoholic beverages
d) organic acids
Explanation:Yeast-cell crops harvested from the vats used to produce alcoholic beverages have been used as a food supplement for generations.
5.vHow many tons of protein can be produced by algae grown in pond in a year?
Explanation: Algae grown in ponds can produce 20 tons (dry weight) of protein per acre per year.
6. What is the range of protein content in yeast cells?
Explanation: The protein content of microbial cells is very high.Yeast cells have a protein content in a 40 to 50 percent range.
7. Which of the following microorganism have a high vitamin content?
Explanation: Some microorganisms, particularly yeasts, have a high vitamin content.The growth medium for yeast cells consists of hydrocarbons supplemented with mineral salts.
8. The principal microorganism for yogurt is ______________________
a) Streptococcus thermophilus
b) Leuconostoc citrovorum
c) Lactobacillus acidophilus
d) Streptococcus lactis
Explanation: Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus are among the principal microorganisms responsible for producing yogurt by fermentation.
9. Which of the following products have higher acidity and lacks aroma?
a) Cultured buttermilk
b) Cultured sour cream
c) Bulgarian milk
d) Acidophilus milk
Explanation: For production of Bulgarian milk by Lactobacillus bulgaricus, incubation of inoculated milk at 37 degree C is carried out and product differs from commercial buttermilk in having higher acidity and lacking aroma.
10. Shredded cabbage is the starting product for which of the following fermented food?
c) Green olives
Explanation: Shredded cabbage acts as a starting product for producing fermented product sauerkraut.Enterobacter cloacae is used in the early stage of fermentation.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice all areas of Microbiology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.