This set of Microbiology MCQs focuses on “Virus Infection and Fatal Diseases Associated with Viruses in Animals”.
1. Which of the following inclusion bodies are present in the cytoplasm of the Purkinje cells of the cerebellum in the case of rabies infection?
a) Paschen bodies
b) Guarnieri bodies
c) Negri bodies
d) Elementary bodies
Explanation: Characteristic inclusion bodies are found in the cytoplasm of the Purkinje cells of the cerebellum and in certain other nerve cells in cases of rabies infection. These typical inclusion bodies are Negri bodies and is diagnostic of the disease.
2. Bollinger bodies are found in the cytoplasm of cells infected by which of the following viruses?
a) variola virus
b) fowl pox virus
c) rabies virus
d) herpes virus
Explanation: Bollinger bodies are found in the cytoplasm of cells infected with fowl pox virus. It is a type of inclusion body produced by viruses in certain host tissues.
3. Intracytoplasmic inclusions are found in chicken pox, herpes, and the polyhedra diseases of insects.
Explanation: Intranuclear inclusions are found in chicken pox, herpes, and the polyhedra diseases of insects. Intranuclear and intracytoplasmic inclusions may be found in the same cell in instances of multiple infections.
4. Scrapie is a chronic disease of which of the following animals?
Explanation: Scrapie is so named because the diseased animal tends to scrape against fixed objects. It is a chronic infection of the central nervous system of sheep.
5. In which of the following categories of cancer solid tumors grow from derivatives of embryonal mesoderm?
Explanation: In Sarcoma solid tumors grow from derivatives of embryonal mesoderm, such as connective tissues, cartilage, bone, muscle and fat.
6. Anaplasia is structural abnormality of cells.
Explanation: Cancer has three major characteristics: hyperplasia, anaplasia, and metastasis. Anaplasia is structural abnormality of cells (these cells also have a loss of or reduction in their functions).
7. Which among the following is the family of RNA containing viruses that can cause cancer in animals?
Explanation: Among the viruses whose virions contain RNA, only some members of the family Retroviridae cause cancer in animals. These members replicate through a DNA intermediate.
8. Cancer of the lip of mouth have been associated with ___________
d) SV 40
Explanation: HSV1 is a herpes virus type 1 which is associated with the cancer of the lip of the mouth in humans wheras HSV2 causes cervical cancer.
9. The Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) can induce tumors in _____________
Explanation: The Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), a herpesvirus, has been consistently associated with certain human neoplasias, or tumors.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice MCQs on all areas of Microbiology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!