This set of Microbiology Assessment Questions and Answers focuses on “Bacteria – Diseases Caused by Aerobic and Anaerobic Gram – Negative Rods”.
1. Syphilis is caused by which of the following organism?
a) Treponema pallidum
b) Treponema pertenue
c) Treponema endemicum
d) Treponema carateum
Explanation:Treponema pallidum causes syphilis disease in humans which is a venereal or congenital disease in humans.
2. Which of the following terms stand for damage to the spinal cord during tertiary stage of syphilis?
d) Tabes dorsalis
Explanation: Tabes dorsalis results from damage to the spinal cord: the patient becomes uncoordinated and has loss of reflexes, uncontrollable urination, loss of perception, and sensation, blindness and loss of hearing.
3. Which of the following is a specific test for detecting antitreponemal antibodies?
d) Widal Test
Explanation: Two widely used specific tests are the fluorescent treponemal antibody (FTA) and the T. pallidum hemagglutination (TPH) test.
4. In which body part does the C. jejuni causes infection?
c) small and large intestine
Explanation: C. jejuni causes acute exudative and hemorrhagic inflammation of the wall of the small and large intestine.
5. Which disease is caused by P. pseudomallei organism?
Explanation: P. pseudomallei are a tropical and subtropical soil organism that can cause a disease known as melioidosis in a large variety of animals and occasionally in humans.
6. Which of the following antibiotics is most effective?
Explanation: P.aeruginosa is resistant to many common antibiotics, although gentamicin and carbenicillin often are effective.
7. Pontiac fever is a more severe disease than Legionnaires’ disease.
Explanation: Pontiac fever is a less severe disease characterized by fever, chills, headache, dry cough and muscle pain and is self limiting and nonfatal.
8. Which of the following microorganism occurs in swine?
a) Brucella melitensis
b) Brucella abortus
c) Brucella suis
d) Legionella pneumophila
Explanation: Brucella suis occurs in swine. They are mainly parasites and pathogens of domestic animals.
9. Which drug is used for the treatment of brucellosis in humans?
Explanation: Tetracycline is the drug of choice for the treatment of brucellosis in humans. No vaccine is available for human immunization.
10. The organism causing whooping cough can grow on ordinary culture media.
Explanation: The organism will not grow on ordinary culture media because such media contain toxic substances such as unsaturated fatty acids. Starch must be added to absorb these toxic substances.
11. Which of the following capsular polysaccharides is used for preparing a vaccine against meningococcal meningitis?
a) serovar A
b) serovar B
c) serovar C
d) serovar A and C
Explanation: A vaccine is available for epidemic control of meningococcal meningitis and consists of the purified capsular polysaccharides of serovars A and C; the serovar B polysaccharide appears not to be highly immunogenic.
12. Thayer-Martin medium is used for isolation of organism for which disease?
b) meningococcal meningitis
Explanation: In the laboratory diagnosis of gonorrhea, isolation is done on Thayer-Martin medium, a rich blood-containing agar to which are added antibiotics to suppress the growth of other bacteria.
13. Which of the following strains causes acute gastroenteritis in newborns and infants?
a) Enteropathogenic strains
b) Enteroinvasive strains
c) Enterotoxigenic strains
d) Both enteropathogenic and enterotoxigenic
Explanation: Enteropathogenic strains colonize the jejunum and upper ileum of the small intestine and cause acute gastroenteritis in newborns and in infants.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice all areas of Microbiology Assessment Questions, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Microbiology
- Participate in Microbiology Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Microbiology
- Take Microbiology Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Apply for Microbiology Internship
- Practice Biotechnology MCQs
- Buy Biotechnology Books
- Buy Microbiology Books
- Apply for Biotechnology Internship