This set of Microbiology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Classification of Fungi”.
1. In the fungal classification system Ascomycetes come under the division of ________________
d) Gymnomycota, Mastigomycota
Explanation: The class of Ascomycetes comes under the division of Amastigomycota which are terrestrial fungi.
2. Rhizopus stolonifer belongs to which class?
Explanation: Rhizopus stolonifer belongs to the class Zygomycetes and division Amastigomycota.
3. Which class of fungi among the following have motile cells with two laterally inserted flagella, one tinsel and the other whiplash?
Explanation: The Oomycetes class have motile cells with two laterally inserted flagella, one tinsel and anteriorly directed, the other whiplash and posteriorly directed.
4. Which division of fungi lacks flagella?
Explanation: The division Amastigomycota or terrestrial fungi lack flagella. Mainly sexual spores are produced by the organisms of this division.
5.Fruiting bodies of slime moulds are called ______________
Explanation: Fruiting bodies of slime moulds are called sori that are masses of spores.
6. The taxa having the ending -mycetes is _______________
Explanation: Class have the ending-mycetes. Division have the ending -mycota, subdivision ends with -mycotina whereas order ends with -ales.
7. The common yeast Schizosaccharomyces follows which of the following asexual reproduction methods?
a) binary fission
d) spore formation
Explanation: In Schizosaccharomyces, asexual reproduction is by binary fission. Sexual reproduction is by conjugation of compatible cells with the subsequent formation of ascospores.
8. The structure which contains the zygote nuclei in Rhizopus stolonifer is is known as _______________
c) suspensor cell
Explanation: The walls of the two contacting gametangia dissolve at the point of contact, the two protoplasts mix and the + and – nuclei fuse to form many zygote nuclei. The structure which contains them is called the coenozygote.
9. The mature zygospore lies dormant for how many days?
a) 4-5 days
b) 1-3 months
c) 1 year
d) 20 days
Explanation: The wall around the coenozygote thickens and its surface becomes black and warty, forming the mature zygospore, which lies dormant for 1 to 3 or more months.
10. Which of the following are acellular slime moulds?
Explanation: Myxomycetes are acellular slime molds whose vegetative phase consists of a multicellular, wall-less plasmodium, which transforms into highly organized sporangia bearing sporangiospores.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice all areas of Microbiology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.