This set of Microbiology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Physiology and Cultivation of Fungi”.
1. Pathogenic fungi have a temperature optimum at __________
a) 30 to 37 degree celsius
b) 22 to 30 degree celsius
c) 37 to 42 degree celsius
d) 42 to 50 degree celsius
Explanation: Fungi grow over a wide range of temperature.Pathogenic species have a higher temperature optimum, generally 30 to 37 degree Celsius.
2. Sabouraud media for the growth of fungi is composed of ____________________
a) glucose and ammonia
b) maltose and peptone
c) sucrose and peptone
Explanation: One of the best known and oldest media for growth of fungi is Sabouraud media that contains maltose and peptone as its principal ingredients.
3. Sabouraud media has _________________________
a) high ph,low sugar concentration
b) high ph,moderate sugar concentration
c) low ph,high sugar concentration
d) low ph,moderate sugar concentration
Explanation: Sabouraud media is widely used for the isolation of molds and certain yeasts.Its partial selective action is due to the high sugar concentration and low pH.
4. Jams and jellies are spoiled by both bacteria and fungi.
Explanation: Yeasts and molds can grow in a substrate or medium containing concentrations of sugars that inhibit most bacteria; this is why jams and jellies may be spoiled by molds but not by bacteria.
5. What are the cell wall structural components of fungi?
d) chitin,cellulose, or hemicellulose
Explanation: The cell wall structural components of fungi are chitin,cellulose, or hemicellulose whereas the bacterial cell wall is composed of peptidoglycan.
6. The optimum pH for the growth of fungi is ____________
Explanation: The optimum pH for the growth of fungi is 3.8-5.6.Acidic media (pH 5.6) are tolerated by molds but are inhibitory to most bacteria.
7. Which of the following are the oxygen requirements of molds?
a) Strictly aerobic
b) Facultatively aerobic
Explanation: Moulds are strictly aerobic whereas yeasts are facultative organisms.
8. Fungi are sensitive to which of the following antibiotics?
Explanation: Fungi are resistant to penicillins,tetracyclins,chloramphenicol but are sensitive to griseofulvin.
9. Ordinary inoculating loop can be used for inoculation of yeasts.
Explanation: Ordinary inoculating loop used for bacteria is suitable for the inoculation of yeasts.But the needle used for molds is stiffer and has a flattened tip for cutting the mycelium.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice all areas of Microbiology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.