This set of Microbiology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Microorganisms and Industry”.
1. Which of the following is not a desired characteristic of the organism to be used for industrial application?
a) should produce less amount of product
b) should be readily available
c) should grow rapidly
d) should be nonpathogenic
Explanation: The organism to be used must be able to produce appreciable amount of the product.It should be readily available and should grow rapidly and vigorously.It should be nonpathogenic.
2. Industrial fermentation are performed in large tanks of capacity ______________
a) 100 gal
b) 1000 gal
c) 50,000 gal
d) 10,000 gal
Explanation: Industrial fermentation are performed in large tanks; capacities of 50,000 gal are not unusual.
3. Solvents and enzymes are found in which of the following categories of microbial products?
a) Pharmaceutical chemicals
b) Commercially valuable chemicals
c) Food supplements
d) Alcoholic beverages
Explanation: Solvents,enzymes, and intermediate compounds for the synthesis of other substances are representative of the kinds of substances produced commercially by microorganisms.
4. Which of the following enzymes cut the DNA molecule at particular nucleotide sequence?
a) restriction endonuclease
Explanation: Restriction endonuclease cut double-stranded DNA molecules at particular nucleotide sequences and thus produce a well-defined DNA fragment for a given enzyme and a given DNA.
5. Eco R1 cuts the plasmid DNA and the donor DNA such that both the ends are same.
Explanation: The endonuclease Eco R1 cuts the plasmid DNA and the donor DNA in a manner such that the ends of each are identical and self-complementary.
6. Which of the following product is used for the treatment of blood clots?
Explanation: The pharmaceutical industry has already produced several products for human therapy by the help of genetic engineering such as urokinase that is used for treatment of blood clots; human insulin and interferons.
7. VP3 protein is isolated from which of the following viruses?
Explanation: VP3 is the protein from the shell of the foot-and-mouth disease virus (FMDV), which can act as a vaccine for immunizing livestock against foot-and-mouth disease.
8. Transfection involves the introduction of plasmid hybrid DNA into the host cell.
Explanation: Transfection involves the introduction of phage hybrid DNA into the host cell whereas transformation involves introduction of plasmid hybrid DNA into a competent host bacterial cell.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice all areas of Microbiology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.