This set of Microbiology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Energy Production by Photosynthesis”.
1. Which of the following acts as a chemical reductant in bacterial photosynthesis?
c) hydrogen sulphide
Explanation: Bacteria that performs photosynthesis utilises inorganic compound H2S or organic compounds as chemical reductant instead of water.
2. The region in which bacteriochlorophyll can absorb light is _________
a) ultraviolet region
b) infrared region
c) visible region
d) microwave region
Explanation: Anoxygenic photosynthetic bacteria possess bacteriochlorophyll which absorbs light in the infrared region (725 to 1035 nm).
3. Where are bacteriochlorophyll present in the cell?
Explanation: Bacteriochlorophyll are not contained in the chloroplasts but are found in extensive membrane systems like the cytoplasmic membrane throughout the bacterial cell.
4. Which of the following steps during electron transfer in anoxygenic photosynthesis is the ATP production step?
a) Ferredoxin to ubiquinone
b) ubiquinone to cyt b
c) cyt b to cyt f
d) cyt f to excited bacteriochlorophyll
Explanation: The energy released in electron transfer between cytochrome b and cytochrome f is used for photophosphorylation i.e., the generation of ATP from ADP and inorganic phosphate.
5. An essential process connected with photosynthesis is?
b) synthesis of glucose
d) electron transfer
Explanation: In cyclic photophosphorylation electron lost by pigment system II is not cycled back instead they are replaced by the light-generated breakdown of water, called photolysis.
6. Purple Sulphur Bacteria contains bacteriochlorophyll b and bacteriochlorophyll c.
Explanation: Purple Sulphur bacteria contains bacteriochlorophyll a and bacteriochlorophyll b and it utilizes sulphur containing compound as chemical reductant.
7. Chlorobium sp. is which type of bacteria?
a) Purple Sulphur Bacteria
b) Purple Non-sulphur Bacteria
c) Green Sulphur bacteria
d) Green Non-sulphur bacteria
Explanation: Chlorobium sp. is a Green sulphur bacteria that contain bacteriochlorophyll c and d and utilizes sulphur as a chemical reductant in photosynthesis.
8. RuBisCO enzyme plays an important role in __________
a) light phase
b) dark phase
c) electron transport chain
d) TCA cycle
Explanation: All the enzymatic reactions take place in the dark phase which does not depend on light. RuBisCO helps in the reaction between RuBP and carbon dioxide to form 3-phosphoglycerate.
9. The final product of Calvin cycle is _________
c) Dihydroxy acetone phosphate
Explanation: Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate is the final product of the Calvin cycle which again regenerates RuBP.
10. The dark reaction in photosynthesis is governed by __________
a) CO2, temperature, and light
b) CO2, light, and water
c) water, temperature, and CO2
d) oxygen, water, and temperature
Explanation: The dark reaction does not require light and involves the reduction of carbon dioxide to yield glyeraldehyde-3-phosphate.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice all areas of Microbiology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.