This set of Microbiology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Morphology of Protozoa”.
1. Leishmania donovani measures _____________ in length.
a) 600 micrometre
b) 1 to 4 micrometre
c) 2 mm
d) 2000 micrometre
Explanation: Leishmania donovani, the cause of human disease kala azar, measures 1 to 4 micrometre in length.
2. Protozoan mobility is due to the fibrils present.
Explanation: Protozoan contractility is probably due to the fibrils. Submicroscopic protein fibrils are groups of parallel fibrils in the cytoplasm.
3. Plasmagel is known as __________________
Explanation: Plasmagel is known as the ectoplasm. The cytoplasm is differentiated into endoplasm and ectoplasm. The ectoplasm is more gel-like and the endoplasm is more voluminous and fluid.
4. Golgi bodies are also known as __________________
Explanation: Golgi complexes are also known as dictyosomes which means piles of membranous sacs.
5. The micronucleus in protozoa is concerned with reproductive activity.
Explanation: The micronucleus is concerned with reproductive ability whereas the macronucleus controls the metabolic activities and regeneration processes.
6. How many haploid chromosomes are present in Spirotrichonympha polygyra?
Explanation: It has been shown that number of chromosomes is constant for a particular species of protozoan. Spirotrichonympha polygyra has 2 haploid chromosomes.
7. Amoeba proteus have a diffuse layer of which of the following over the plasmalemma?
Explanation: Amoeba proteus have a diffuse layer of mucopolysaccharides over the plasmalemma. This layer is thought to play an important role in pinocytosis or in adhesion of the cell to the substratum.
8. Among the following which layer is directly apposed to the cell surface?
Explanation: The theca is a secreted layer directly apposed to the cell surface. Tests, shells, and lorica are coverings that are loosely apposed to the cell surface. Tests, shells, and lorica are coverings that are loose-fitting.
9. Which of the following is the actual opening in ciliates through which food is ingested?
b) oral groove
Explanation: In ciliates the cytosome is the actual opening through which food is ingested. It ranges from a simple round opening to a slitlike structure surrounded by feeding membranelles.
10. Which of the following protective structures occur in the tentacles of suctorian protozoa?
Explanation: Haptocysts occur in the tentacles of suctorian protozoa and are used to contact and immobilize prey.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice all areas of Microbiology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.