This set of Microbiology Quiz focuses on “Characteristics of Some Major Groups of Protozoa”.
1. Members of order Diplomonadida have how many flagella?
a) 2 to 4
b) 6 to 8
c) 2 to 8
d) 1 to 2
Explanation: Members of the order Diplomonadida have bilateral symmetry and 6 to 8 flagella.
2. Trypanosoma belongs to which of the following order?
Explanation: Trypanosoma belongs to the order Kinetoplastida which are grouped with other organisms due to the presence of kinetoplast (an extracellular region of DNA associated with the mitochondrion).
3. The Trichomonads found in the intestine are ___________________
a) Trichomonas buccalis
b) Trichomonas hominis
c) Trichomonas vaginalis
d) Trichonympha campanula
Explanation: Trichomonas hominis are found in the intestine where they may be associated with with diarrheal conditions.
4. African sleeping sickness is transmitted by which of the following agents?
a) biting insects
b) sexual means
c) tsetse fly
d) bloodsucking insects
Explanation: Trypanosoma rhodesiense are transmitted by the tsetse fly and cause African sleeping sickness.
5. Amoebas carry on a special kind of respiration in the form of exchange of gases between the cell and the surrounding field.
Explanation:Amoebas carry on a special kind of respiration in the form of an exchange of gases between the cell and the surrounding fluid, for at rather regular intervals vacuoles apparently containing some carbon dioxide in solution are expelled from the cell through an opening that develops in the cell membrane.
6. Which of the following protozoa construct shells of silica?
Explanation:Radiolarians, like foraminiferans, are marine forms, but most of them construct shells of silica.Deposits of their skeletons are incorporated in rocks formed in areas where they have ocurred in abundance.
7. The Sporozoa belongs to which of the following phylum?
Explanation: The Sporozoa belongs to the phylum Apicomplexa .All sporozoa are parasitic for one or more animal species.
8. What is the shape of Paramecium?
c) spindle shaped
Explanation: Paramecia are easily distinguished by their characteristic shape, which has been likened to that of slipper.The anterior end of the cell is rounded and the posterior end is slightly pointed giving it a slipper-like shape.
9. Undigested particles are eliminated from the cell through the ___________________
b) contractile vacuole
d) cell membrane
Explanation: In Paramecium the undigested particles are eliminated from the cell through the cytoproct.Waste fluids are collected in the contractile vacuoles.
10. During binary fission in Paramecium, the rear daughter cell receives a new gullet?
Explanation: Paramecia reproduce asexually by binary fission in which the rear daughter cell receives the gullet of the parent, and a new gullet is formed for the other new cell.
11. Which of the following comprises large cone-shaped protozoa?
Explanation: The genus Stentor comprises large cone-shaped protozoa that move about freely but attach to some object by a tapered lower end while feeding.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice all areas of Microbiology for Quizzes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.