This set of Microbiology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Algae – Characteristics”.
1. Chlorophyll d is present in the members of _____________________
Explanation: Chlorophyll d is present only in the members of Rhodophycophyta. There are five chlorophylls a, b, c, d, e which are found in different organisms.
2. Fucoxanthin pigment is present in _______________
Explanation: Fucoxanthin is present in Phaeophycophyta and gives it its characteristic colour brown. Other pigments like carotene and chlorophyll a and c are also present along with fucoxanthin.
3. Phycoerythrin pigment is present in which algal division?
Explanation: Phycoerythrin and phycocyanin are biloproteins present in Rhodophycophyta. They are also present in cryptomonads.
4. Chrysolaminarin is the reserved food of ___________________
Explanation: Chrysolaminarin is the reserved food of Xanthophycophyta which is the yellow-green algae along with oils.
5. Cell walls of diatoms are impregnated with _____________
Explanation: Cell walls of diatoms are impregnated with silica, making them thick and very rigid; they are often delicately sculptured with intricate designs characteristic of the species or variety.
6. Chloroplasts of algae embedded in the midst of the cytoplasm is known as ________________
Explanation: The chloroplasts may be massive structures situated near the wall which are known as parietal or embedded in the midst of the cytoplasm which are known as asteroidal.
7. Carotenes are oxygenated derivatives of hydrocarbons.
Explanation: Carotenes are linear, unsaturated hydrocarbons, and xanthophylls are oxygenated derivatives of these.
8. Two lateral flagella are present in which of the following groups of algae?
Explanation: Phaeophycophyta or the brown algae consists of two lateral flagella. Dinoflagellate or cryptomonads also consists of two lateral flagella.
9. Gullet is present in which algae?
b) Golden algae
d) Green algae
Explanation: Euglenoids or Euglenophycophyta contain gullet which is anteriorly present. It contains 1, 2 or 3 equal or slightly apical flagella.
10. Which of the following are water-soluble pigments?
Explanation: Biloproteins or phycobilins are water-soluble pigments whereas chlorophylls and carotenoids are lipid-soluble.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice all areas of Microbiology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.