This set of Microbiology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Animals and Plants – Viruses and Vaccination”.
1. From which of the following animal was the material isolated which was used for the vaccination for the first time?
Explanation: Jenner used the material isolated from cows to be used as a vaccination and it provided protection against natural smallpox infection.
2. Vaccination was invented by ____________
Explanation: In 1796 Jenner first vaccinated an 8-year old boy with material removed from cow and it gave protection against smallpox virus.
3. Causative agent of tobacco mosaic disease was filterable.
Explanation: In 1892, Dmitrii Ivanowski discovered that the causative agent of tobacco mosaic disease was filterable.Viruses that can pass through porcelain filters are known as filterable viruses.
4. Yellow fever virus can be attenuated by serial passage on cultures of ________________________
a) embryonated eggs
c) chick embryo tissue
d) pig embryo tissue
Explanation: Max Theiler found in 1937 that virulent yellow fever virus can be attenuated by serial passage on cultures of chick embryo tissue.
5. Effective poliomyelitis vaccines were developed by culturing the virus of poliomyelitis on the kidney cells of which animal?
Explanation: Enders, Robbins, and Weller laid the foundation for the development of effective poliomyelitis vaccines by culturing the virus of poliomyelitis on monkey kidney cells in 1949.
6. For which viral disease, vaccine has been recently developed through the use of tissue culture?
d) S mallpox
Explanation: Among the virus diseases for which vaccines have been recently developed through the use of tissue culture is measles (rubeola).
7. Rubella vaccines contain viruses are isolated only in African green monkey cells.
Explanation: Rubella vaccines contain viruses either isolated in African green monkey cells and attenuated by further cell passage (in primary duck embryo cells) or isolated and passed to diploid human embryo cells.
8. Translation of mRNA into proteins takes place in the ________________
a) host cell nucleus
b) host cell cytoplasm
c) viral nucleus
d) viral cytoplasm
Explanation: Translation of mRNA into proteins takes place in the host cell cytoplasm and uses ribosomes, transfer RNAs, and enzymes in the cytoplasm.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice all areas of Microbiology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.