This set of Microbiology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Ecology and Importance of Protozoa”.
1. pH range optimal for maximum metabolic activity of protozoa is ______________
Explanation: For the majority of pH range of 6.0 to 8.0 is optimal for maximum metabolic activity.Some protozoa can tolerate a wide range of pH, for example, pH 3.2 to 8.7.
2. Protozoa that eat other organisms are known as _______________
Explanation: Holozoic protozoa are protozoa that eat other organisms.Species of Paramecium are holozoic and they must have a supply of bacteria or other protozoa.
3. What is the maximum temperature for protozoa?
a) 40 degrees C
b) 10 degrees C
c) 16 degrees C
d) 25 degrees C
Explanation: Most protozoa have an optimum temperature of between 16 and 25 degree C; the maximum temperature is between 36 and 40 degree C.
4. The process in which protozoa attaches themselves to a host’s body is known as __________________
Explanation: Ectocommensalism is often represented by protozoa which attach themselves to a host’s body.In commensalism the host is neither injured nor benefitted, but the commensal is benefitted.
5. Certain flagellates of protozoa are present in the gut of some termites in a mutualistic relationship.
Explanation: Certain flagellates are present in the gut of termites and digest the woody material eaten by the termite to a glycogenous substance which can be used by the host cells.If deprived of these flagellates, the termite dies.
6. African sleeping sickness is caused by _________________
Explanation: Some protozoa causes diseases in animals, including humans. Some well-known protozoan diseases in humans are intestinal amoebiasis,African sleeping sickness, and malaria.
7. Which of the following is not a function of protozoa?
a) acts as a link in food chain
b) used in manufacture of food products
c) decomposition process
d) to study cell cycles
Explanation: Protozoa serve as an important link in the food chain of communities in aquatic environments.They also make use of the substances produced and organisms involved in the final decomposition stage of organic matter.Some species of protozoa have been used to study cell cycles and nucleic acid biosynthesis during cell division.
8. Which of the following is an aerobic protozoa?
Explanation: Vorticella is an aerobic protozoa involved in the aeration and flocculation steps of sewage treatment.Others are all anaerobic protozoa.
9. Red snow of high altitudes is due to the presence of ________________
Explanation: The red snow of high altitudes is due to the presence of several hematochrome-bearing flagellates or protozoa which are considered as algae by some biologists.
10. When parasitic protozoa parasitize other protozoan it is known as ______________
Explanation: Some parasitic protozoa parasitize other protozoan or metazoan parasities.Such an association is termed hyperparasitism.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Microbiology.
To practice all areas of Microbiology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.