This set of Electromagnetic Theory Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Divergence”.
1. The divergence of a vector is a scalar. State True/False.
Explanation: Divergence can be computed only for a vector. Since it is the measure of outward flow of flux from a small closed surface as the volume shrinks to zero, the result will be directionless (scalar).
2. The divergence concept can be illustrated using Pascal’s law. State True/False.
Explanation: Consider the illustration of Pascal’s law, wherein a ball is pricked with holes all over its body. After water is filled in it and pressure is applied on it, the water flows out the holes uniformly. This is analogous to the flux flowing outside a closed surface as the volume reduces.
3. Compute the divergence of the vector xi + yj + zk.
Explanation: The vector given is a position vector. The divergence of any position vector is always 3.
4. Find the divergence of the vector yi + zj + xk.
Explanation: Div (yi + zj + xk) = Dx(y) + Dy(z) + Dz(x), which is zero. Here D refers to partial differentiation.
5. Given D = e-xsin y i – e-xcos y j
Find divergence of D.
Explanation: Div (D) = Dx(e-xsin y) + Dy(-e-xcos y ) = -e-xsin y + e-xsin y = 0.
6. Find the divergence of the vector F= xe-x i + y j – xz k
a) (1 – x)(1 + e-x)
b) (x – 1)(1 + e-x)
c) (1 – x)(1 – e)
d) (x – 1)(1 – e)
Explanation: Div(F) = Dx(xe-x) + Dy(y)+Dz(-xz) = -xe-x + e-x + 1 – x =
e-x(1 – x) + (1 – x) = (1 – x)(1 + e-x).
7. Determine the divergence of F = 30 i + 2xy j + 5xz2 k at (1,1,-0.2) and state the nature of the field.
a) 1, solenoidal
b) 0, solenoidal
c) 1, divergent
d) 0, divergent
Explanation: Div(F) = Dx(30) + Dy(2xy) + Dz(5xz2) = 0 + 2x + 10xz = 2x + 10xz
Divergence at (1,1,-0.2) will give zero. As the divergence is zero, field is solenoidal.
Alternate/Shortcut: Without calculation, we can easily choose option “0, solenoidal”, as by theory when the divergence is zero, the vector is solenoidal. “0, solenoidal” is the only one which is satisfying this condition.
8. Find whether the vector is solenoidal, E = yz i + xz j + xy k
a) Yes, solenoidal
b) No, non-solenoidal
c) Solenoidal with negative divergence
d) Variable divergence
Explanation: Div(E) = Dx(yz) + Dy(xz) + Dz(xy) = 0. The divergence is zero, thus vector is divergentless or solenoidal.
9. Find the divergence of the field, P = x2yz i + xz k
a) xyz + 2x
b) 2xyz + x
c) xyz + 2z
d) 2xyz + z
Explanation: Div(P) = Dx(x2yz) + Dy(0) + Dz(xz) = 2xyz + x, which is 2xyz + x. For different values of x, y, z the divergence of the field varies.
10. Identify the nature of the field, if the divergence is zero and curl is also zero.
a) Solenoidal, irrotational
b) Divergent, rotational
c) Solenoidal, irrotational
d) Divergent, rotational
Explanation: Since the vector field does not diverge (moves in a straight path), the divergence is zero. Also, the path does not possess any curls, so the field is irrotational.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Electromagnetic Theory.
To practice all areas of Electromagnetic Theory, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.