This set of Electromagnetic Theory Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Faraday Law, EMF and Lenz Law”.
1. For time varying currents, the field or waves will be
b) Magneto static
Explanation: For stationary charges, the field is electrostatic. For steady currents, the field is magneto static. But for time varying currents, the field or waves will be electromagnetic.
2. According to Faraday’s law, EMF stands for
a) Electromagnetic field
b) Electromagnetic force
c) Electromagnetic friction
d) Electromotive force
Explanation: The force in any closed circuit due to the change in the flux linkage of the circuit is called as electromotive force EMF. This phenomenon is called as Faraday’s law.
3. Calculate the emf when the flux is given by 3sin t + 5cos t
a) 3cos t – 5sin t
b) -3cos t + 5sin t
c) -3sin t – 5cos t
d) 3cos t + 5sin t
Explanation: The electromotive force is given by Vemf = -dλ/dt. Thus Vemf = -dλ/dt = -(3cos t – 5sin t) = -3cos t + 5sin t.
4. The induced voltage will oppose the flux producing it. State True/False.
Explanation: According to Lenz law, the induced voltage acts in such a way that it opposes the flux producing it. This is indicated by a negative sign.
5. Calculate the emf when a coil of 100 turns is subjected to a flux rate of 0.3 tesla/sec.
Explanation: The induced emf is given by Vemf = -dλ/dt = -Ndψ/dt. Thus emf will be -100 x 0.3 = -30 units.
6. Find the displacement current when the flux density is given by t3 at 2 seconds.
Explanation: The displacement current is given by Jd = dD/dt. Thus Jd = 3t2. At time t = 2, we get Jd = 3(2)2= 12A.
7. Find the force due to a current element of length 2cm and flux density of 12 tesla. The current through the element will be 5A.
a) 1 N
b) 1.2 N
c) 1.4 N
d) 1.6 N
Explanation: The force due to a current element is given by F = BI x L. Thus F = 12 x 5 x 0.02 = 1.2 units.
8. Which of the following statements is true?
a) E is the cross product of v and B
b) B is the cross product of v and E
c) E is the dot product of v and B
d) B is the dot product of v and E
Explanation: The electric field is the cross product of the velocity and the magnetic field intensity. This is given by Lorentz equation.
9. The time varying electric field E is conservative. State True/False.
Explanation: The time varying electric field E(t) is not a closed path. Thus the curl will be non-zero. This implies E(t) is not conservative and the statement is false.
10. When the conduction current density and displacement current density are same, the dissipation factor will be
Explanation: Dissipation factor refers to the tangent of loss angle. It is the ratio of conduction current density to displacement current density. When both are same, the loss tangent or the dissipation factor will be unity.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Electromagnetic Theory.
To practice all areas of Electromagnetic Theory, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.