This set of Heat Transfer Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Thermal Conductivity Of Materials”.
1. Thermal conductivity is defined as the heat flow per unit time
a) When temperature gradient is unity
b) Across the wall with no temperature
c) Through a unit thickness of the wall
d) Across unit area where temperature gradient is unity
Explanation: Thermal conductivity of a material is because of migration of free electrons and lattice vibrational waves.
2. Mark the matter with least value of thermal conductivity
d) Window glass
Explanation: For air it is .024 W/ m degree i.e. lowest.
3. Which one of the following forms of water have the highest value of thermal conductivity?
a) Boiling water
c) Solid ice
d) Melting ice
Explanation: For ice it is 2.25 W/m degree i.e. maximum.
4. The average thermal conductivities of water and air conform to the ratio
Explanation: For water it is 0.55-0.7 W/m degree and for air it is .024 W/m degree.
5. Identify the very good insulator
a) Saw dust
c) Asbestos sheet
d) Glass wool
Explanation: Glass wool has lowest thermal conductivity of 0.03 W/m degree amongst given option.
6. Most metals are good conductor of heat because of
a) Transport of energy
b) Free electrons and frequent collision of atoms
c) Lattice defects
d) Capacity to absorb energy
Explanation: For good conductors there must be electrons that are free to move.
7. Heat conduction in gases is due to
a) Elastic impact of molecules
b) Movement of electrons
c) EM Waves
d) Mixing of gases
Explanation: If there is elastic collision then after sometime molecules regain its natural position.
8. The heat energy propagation due to conduction heat transfer will be minimum for
Explanation: It is because air has lowest value of thermal conductivity amongst given options.
9. Cork is a good insulator because
a) It is flexible
b) It can be powdered
c) Low density
d) It is porous
Explanation: Cork has thermal conductivity in the range of 0.05-0.10 which is very low so it can be porous.
10. Choose the false statement
a) For pure metal thermal conductivity is more
b) Thermal conductivity decreases with increase in the density of the substance
c) Thermal conductivity of dry material is lower than that of damp material
d) Heat treatment causes variation in thermal conductivity
Explanation: Thermal conductivity increase with increase in density of substance.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Heat Transfer.
To practice all areas of Heat Transfer, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.