This set of Heat Transfer Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Classification of Heat Exchanger”.
1. Some examples of heat exchanger are
(i) Condensers and evaporators in refrigeration units
(ii) Evaporator of an ice plant and milk chiller of a pasteurizing plant
(iii) Automobile radiators and oil coolers of heat engines
Identify the correct answer
a) i only
b) ii and iii
c) i, ii and iii
d) i and ii
Explanation: All are the examples of heat exchanger.
2. Heat exchangers are classified into how many categories?
Explanation: Nature of heat exchange process, relative direction of motion of fluid, mechanical design of heat exchange surface and physical state of heat exchanging fluids.
3. Based upon the nature of heat exchange process, the heat exchangers are classified into how many categories
Explanation: Direct contact, regenerators and recuperators.
4. The energy transfer between the hot fluid and cold fluids is brought about by their complete physical mixing in
a) Direct contact heat exchanger
Explanation: In this type of heat exchanger, there is a simultaneous transfer of heat and mass.
Explanation: In this type of arrangement, the fluids enter the unit from the same side, flow in the same direction and leave from the same side.
6. Which of the following is not an example of recuperators type heat exchanger?
a) Automobile radiators
c) Chemical factories
d) Oil heaters for an aero plane
Explanation: Recuperators are not used in chemical factories.
7. In how many categories heat exchangers are classified on the basis of direction of flow of fluids?
a) 4 categories
b) 3 categories
c) 2 categories
d) 1 categories
Explanation: Parallel, counter and cross flow.
8. In how many categories heat exchangers are classified on the basis of mechanical design of heat exchanger surface?
Explanation: Concentric tubes, shell and tube and multiple shell.
9. In how many categories heat exchangers are classified on the basis of physical state of heat exchanging fluids?
Explanation: Condenser and evaporator.
10. Many types of heat exchangers have been developed to meet the widely varying applications. Based upon their
(i) Operating principle
(ii) Arrangement of flow path
Identify the correct statements
a) i, ii and iii
b) i and ii
c) ii and iii
d) i and iii
Explanation: Heat exchanger is a process equipment designed for the effective transfer of heat energy between two fluids.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Heat Transfer.
To practice all areas of Heat Transfer, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.