In this article, we will explore what a Unix certification is, why it is important, and how you can go about getting certified in Unix by Sanfoundry for free.
What is an Unix certification?
An Unix certification is a professional credential demonstrating an individual’s proficiency in Unix. The certified professional has in-depth knowledge of topics such as:
- Unix architecture, file system, and usage of basic commands.
- Shell Programming and how to write Shell Scripts.
- categorization of Unix system calls, and their use.
- building an application/service over a Unix system.
- Interpretation of the features of UNIX and basic commands.
- demonstration of different UNIX files and permissions.
- Implementation of shell programs.
- understanding of UNIX process, IPC, and signals.
Which certification is best to work in the field of Unix?
There are many different types of Unix certifications, but they all cover similar topics like Linux, UNIX, BSD, and more. Sanfoundry offers free certification in the field of Unix which helps in finding work. Other certifications in the field of Unix is the Certified Unix System Administrator (CUSA) certification, Certified Unix System Engineer (CSE), Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA).
What type of job can I get with a Unix certification?
There are a number of job opportunities for those with Unix certification. You can find positions in the IT industry, or you can go into consulting. Unix jobs can be found in almost every industry, including web development, database administration, software engineering, and even HR. You can works as UNIX System Administrator, Unix Developer, UNIX Engineer, UNIX Systems Engineer, UNIX Infrastructure Administrator, UNIX Analyst Engineer, UNIX Production Support Engineer.
What topics are covered in the Unix certification course exam?
Here’s the complete syllabus of the exam.
|Unix Certification Syllabus|
|Unix Architecture||Unix Commands||General Purpose Utilities|
|File System||Absolute and Relative Pathnames||Handling Ordinary Files|
|Basic File Attributes||Vi Editor||Shell|
|Command Substitution||Process||Customizing the Environment|
|More File Attributes||find Command||Simple Filters|
|Filters using Regular Expressions||Essential Shell Programming||Awk – An Advanced Filter|
|Perl – Master Manipulator||Advanced Vi||Handling Multiple Files & Buffers|
|System Programming – Files||Process Control||Unix System Performance|
Sanfoundry Unix CertificationSanfoundry offers online certification in Unix for free. The certification exam is divided into two parts: Qualifier Test and Certification Test.
First step is to take the "Qualifier Test". If you have scored at least a B grade in the "Qualifier Test", then only you would be eligible to take part in the online "Certification Test". If you have scored an A* (Genius) or A (Excellent) grade in the certification test, then you will be awarded a “Certificate of Merit” in Unix from Sanfoundry.
Unix Certification Exam Overview:
Here are the details and format of the Certification Exam:
- Format: Online & Multiple Choice
- Prerequisite: Yes (Qualifier Test)
- Total Questions: 50
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Negative Marking: Yes
- Fee: Free
In the online certification test, you will be given 2 points for every correct answer. There will also be negative marking of -1 for every wrong answer. So, you have to be more careful in your test. If needed, you should skip to the next question and come back to that question later so that you can manage the time more effectively during the test.
Based on your score, you would be given one of the following Grades:
Grade A* – Genius (You scored 100%)
Grade A – Excellent (Your score is in the range of 80% to 99%)
Grade B – Good (Your score is in the range of 60% to 80%)
Grade C – Average (Your score is in the range of 40% to 60%)
Grade D – Poor (Your score is in the range of 0% to 40%)
Steps to get the Free Unix CertificateHow to prepare for Unix Certification Exam?
Before you start taking the certification test, it is important to study and practice our collection of 1000 Unix MCQs and check your progress by taking this subject specific Practice & Mock Tests.
Once you are ready, follow the below mentioned steps:
- Sign up with Sanfoundry.
- Take this Unix Qualifier Test.
- Score at least B Grade in the Qualifier test in order to be qualified to take the certification exam.
- Once you have qualified, you can take this Unix Certification Test anytime (24×7).
- If you have scored either A* Grade (Genius) or A Grade (Excellent) in the test, then you are eligible for a "Certificate of Merit".
- Fill this feedback form and download your certificate of merit from here. Kindly note that we issue certificate-of-merit on a monthly basis only i.e., on 5th of the next month.
- Check your name in the list of top-rankers live here.
Unix Certification FAQs1. Is a certification required to work in Unix? Will it get me a job?
A certification is not mandatory, but it demonstrates your expertise in this field. So the benefit of a certification is that it can help make the process easier by showing employers that you have the skills necessary for the given job.
2. Can I do Unix certification if I am a beginner?
Yes, but you should prepare the subject thoroughly by studying all the chapters and topics.
3. Is the Unix exam hard?
This subject is not difficult to learn, but it's not an easy subject either. If you've practiced Unix in-depth, then the test might be a little easier for you.
4. How long does it take to earn an Unix certification?
The amount of time it takes to earn the certification varies depending on individual circumstances and level of experience. It typically takes several months of studying and practice to prepare for the certification exam.
5. Can I earn a college credit for my Unix course if I am certified?
It depends on your college. There are few colleges and institutions which prefer the students to be certified by external institutions for a credit course. So, kindly check with your college.
6. Can I get certified in Unix online?
Yes, Sanfoundry offers free online certificate in Unix.
7. Which online Unix Certification Course is the best?
Each online certification course has a specific focus and it prepares you for different skillset. So, there is no single best course on Unix. The best you can do is to get a free certificate on this from Sanfoundry. If you are doing a self-study, you can learn the basics in the free Unix Certification Course.
8. Can I get Unix certification for free? How much it cost?
Yes, you can get the certification for free. A Certificate by Sanfoundry is 100% free for everyone.
9. How long is Unix certification valid? Does it expire?
The certificate is valid for life. There is no need to renew your certificate or take any further steps to keep your certification active.
10. Who is eligible to take the Unix certification exam?
Anyone who has been "working" or "studying" the subject can take the certification exam.
11. What is the format of the certification exam?
It is MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions) based.
12. Is there any negative marking in the online certification exam?
In the Certification exam, you will be given 2 points for every correct answer. There will also be a negative marking of -1 for every wrong answer.
13. How many times can I take the certification exam?
You can attempt the certification exam 2 times a month.
14. Are there any resources or materials available to help me prepare for the Unix Certification exam?
You should practice Sanfoundry Unix MCQs. Additionally, you can refer to the collection of best Unix Books.
15. Are there any prerequisites for Unix certification?
Yes, there is one prerequisite. You have to complete the qualifier test before taking the certification test.
16. How do I get certified in Unix?
Take the Sanfoundry test, get either an A* Grade (Genius) or an A Grade (Excellent) in the Unix certification exam, and earn a free certificate of merit from us.
17. How do I register for the certification exam? How to get started?
Simply signup with Sanfoundry and take the test as mentioned here.