In this article, we will explore what a Bioinformatics certification is, why it is important, and how you can go about getting certified in Bioinformatics by Sanfoundry for free.
What is a Bioinformatics certification?
A Bioinformatics certification is a professional credential demonstrating an individual’s proficiency in Bioinformatics. The certified professional has in-depth knowledge of topics such as:
- development of bioinformatics tools with programming skills.
- application of computational based solutions for biological problems.
- concepts of Bioinformatics.
- recent evolution in biological science.
- relevant online resources, databases, and software tools.
- application of alignment and modeling tools.
- analysis of biological data using phylogenetic, predictive, and comparative methods.
- tools used in bioinformatics to manipulate and analyze biological data.
Which certification is best to work in the field of Bioinformatics?
There are a number of certifications available, both free and paid, in the field of bioinformatics. Free certifications in Bioinformatics Certification offered by Sanfoundry. Paid certifications are also available for those interested in the field of bioinformatics like the Certified Bioinformatics Professional (CBP) and the Certified Bioinformatics Scientist (CBS).
What type of job can I get with a Bioinformatics certification?
A Bioinformatics certification can be used to get a job in the field of bioinformatics. The most common type of jobs available are those related to computational biology and bioinformatics. These jobs include research positions and positions at universities or companies that work on developing new technologies for use in the medical field.
What topics are covered in the Bioinformatics certification course exam?
Here’s the complete syllabus of the exam.
|Bioinformatics Certification Syllabus|
|Sequence Alignment||Protein Family Databases||Bayesian Statistics|
|Pairwise Sequence Alignment||Multiple Sequence Alignment||Position – Specific Scoring Matrices|
|Database Similarity Searching||FASTA||BLAST|
|Structural Bioinformatics||Secondary Structure Prediction||Coiled Coil Prediction|
|Protein Tertiary Structure Prediction||RNA Structure Prediction||Genome Mapping, Assembly and Comparison|
|Functional Genomics & Proteomics||Molecular Phylogenetics||Phylogenetic Tree Construction Methods & Programs|
|Gene and Promoter Prediction||Promoter and Regulatory Element Prediction||Predicting the Structure of Protein – Biomolecular Interactions|
|Global Approaches for Studying Protein – Protein Interactions||Collecting & Storing Sequences in Laboratory||Genome Analysis|
Sanfoundry Bioinformatics CertificationSanfoundry offers online certification in Bioinformatics for free. The certification exam is divided into two parts: Qualifier Test and Certification Test.
First step is to take the "Qualifier Test". If you have scored at least a B grade in the "Qualifier Test", then only you would be eligible to take part in the online "Certification Test". If you have scored an A* (Genius) or A (Excellent) grade in the certification test, then you will be awarded a “Certificate of Merit” in Bioinformatics from Sanfoundry.
Bioinformatics Certification Exam Overview:
Here are the details and format of the Certification Exam:
- Format: Online & Multiple Choice
- Prerequisite: Yes (Qualifier Test)
- Total Questions: 50
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Negative Marking: Yes
- Fee: Free
In the online certification test, you will be given 2 points for every correct answer. There will also be negative marking of -1 for every wrong answer. So, you have to be more careful in your test. If needed, you should skip to the next question and come back to that question later so that you can manage the time more effectively during the test.
Based on your score, you would be given one of the following Grades:
Grade A* – Genius (You scored 100%)
Grade A – Excellent (Your score is in the range of 80% to 99%)
Grade B – Good (Your score is in the range of 60% to 80%)
Grade C – Average (Your score is in the range of 40% to 60%)
Grade D – Poor (Your score is in the range of 0% to 40%)
Steps to get the Free Bioinformatics CertificateHow to prepare for Bioinformatics Certification Exam?
Before you start taking the certification test, it is important to study and practice our collection of 1000 Bioinformatics MCQs and check your progress by taking this subject specific Practice & Mock Tests.
Once you are ready, follow the below mentioned steps:
- Sign up with Sanfoundry.
- Take this Bioinformatics Qualifier Test.
- Score at least B Grade in the Qualifier test in order to be qualified to take the certification exam.
- Once you have qualified, you can take this Bioinformatics Certification Test anytime (24×7).
- If you have scored either A* Grade (Genius) or A Grade (Excellent) in the test, then you are eligible for a "Certificate of Merit".
- Fill this feedback form and download your certificate of merit from here. Kindly note that we issue certificate-of-merit on a monthly basis only i.e., on 5th of the next month.
- Check your name in the list of top-rankers live here.
Bioinformatics Certification FAQs1. Is a certification required to work in Bioinformatics? Will it get me a job?
A certification is not mandatory, but it demonstrates your expertise in this field. So the benefit of a certification is that it can help make the process easier by showing employers that you have the skills necessary for the given job.
2. Can I do Bioinformatics certification if I am a beginner?
Yes, but you should prepare the subject thoroughly by studying all the chapters and topics.
3. Is the Bioinformatics exam hard?
This subject is not difficult to learn, but it's not an easy subject either. If you've practiced Bioinformatics in-depth, then the test might be a little easier for you.
4. How long does it take to earn a Bioinformatics certification?
The amount of time it takes to earn the certification varies depending on individual circumstances and level of experience. It typically takes several months of studying and practice to prepare for the certification exam.
5. Can I earn a college credit for my Bioinformatics course if I am certified?
It depends on your college. There are few colleges and institutions which prefer the students to be certified by external institutions for a credit course. So, kindly check with your college.
6. Can I get certified in Bioinformatics online?
Yes, Sanfoundry offers free online certificate in Bioinformatics.
7. Which online Bioinformatics Certification Course is the best?
Each online certification course has a specific focus and it prepares you for different skillset. So, there is no single best course on Bioinformatics. The best you can do is to get a free certificate on this from Sanfoundry. If you are doing a self-study, you can learn the basics in the free Bioinformatics Certification Course.
8. Can I get Bioinformatics certification for free? How much it cost?
Yes, you can get the certification for free. A Certificate by Sanfoundry is 100% free for everyone.
9. How long is Bioinformatics certification valid? Does it expire?
The certificate is valid for life. There is no need to renew your certificate or take any further steps to keep your certification active.
10. Who is eligible to take the Bioinformatics certification exam?
Anyone who has been "working" or "studying" the subject can take the certification exam.
11. What is the format of the certification exam?
It is MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions) based.
12. Is there any negative marking in the online certification exam?
In the Certification exam, you will be given 2 points for every correct answer. There will also be a negative marking of -1 for every wrong answer.
13. How many times can I take the certification exam?
You can attempt the certification exam 2 times a month.
14. Are there any resources or materials available to help me prepare for the Bioinformatics Certification exam?
You should practice Sanfoundry Bioinformatics MCQs. Additionally, you can refer to the collection of best Bioinformatics Books.
15. Are there any prerequisites for Bioinformatics certification?
Yes, there is one prerequisite. You have to complete the qualifier test before taking the certification test.
16. How do I get certified in Bioinformatics?
Take the Sanfoundry test, get either an A* Grade (Genius) or an A Grade (Excellent) in the Bioinformatics certification exam, and earn a free certificate of merit from us.
17. How do I register for the certification exam? How to get started?
Simply signup with Sanfoundry and take the test as mentioned here.