In this article, we will explore what a Software Engineering certification is, why it is important, and how you can go about getting certified in Software Engineering by Sanfoundry for free.
What is a Software Engineering certification?
A Software Engineering certification is a professional credential demonstrating an individual’s proficiency in Software Engineering. The certified professional has in-depth knowledge of topics such as:
- concepts of a software product, process, and project management.
- analysis of software project planning as to how the project is estimated and recognizing when the planner decides to make or buy the software.
- ways of managing risk, scheduling, and tracking a software project.
- object-oriented concepts and analyzing the elements of an object model with case studies.
- application of software engineering principles and techniques.
- production of efficient, reliable, robust, and cost-effective software solutions.
- working as an effective member or leader of software engineering teams.
- management of time, processes, and resources effectively by prioritizing competing demands to achieve personal and team goals.
- identification of the key activities in managing a software project.
- comparison of different process models.
- requirements engineering and analysis modeling.
- application of the systematic procedure for software design and deployment.
- comparing and contrasting various testing and maintenance.
- management of project schedule, estimation of project cost, and efforts required.
- analysis of different software development models.
- formulation of testing strategy for software systems, employ techniques such as unit testing, test driven development, and functional testing.
- management of software development process independently as well as in teams and making use of various software management tools for development, maintenance, and analysis.
Which certification is best to work in the field of Software Engineering?
Sanfoundry offers free Software Engineering certification which helps in finding work. Other software engineering certification include the Certified Software Development Professional and Certified Software Engineer certification offered by the Institute of Certification of Computing Professionals.
What type of job can I get with a Software Engineering certification?
Software engineering is the field that involves the design, development and maintenance of software. Software engineering jobs are available throughout the world and can be found in many industries including healthcare, financial services, telecommunications and transportation. You can work as Software Developer, Front-End Engineer, Back-End Engineer, Full Stack Engineer, Software Engineer in Test (QA Engineer), Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) and Software Architect.
What topics are covered in the Software Engineering certification course exam?
Here’s the complete syllabus of the exam.
|Software Engineering Certification Syllabus|
|Software Engineering Basics||Software Processes, Models||Agile Software Development|
|Requirement Engineering||Software Modelling||Software Evolution|
|Sociotechnical Systems||Dependability and Security||Software Design|
|Software Metrics||Software Management||Risk Management|
|Project Planning||Software Maintenance||Process Improvement|
|Architectural Design||Design and Implementation||Advanced Software Engineering|
|Service Oriented Architecture||Software Engineering types||Software Reliability|
|Fault Tolerance||Software Testing||Quality Management|
Sanfoundry Software Engineering CertificationSanfoundry offers online certification in Software Engineering for free. The certification exam is divided into two parts: Qualifier Test and Certification Test.
First step is to take the "Qualifier Test". If you have scored at least a B grade in the "Qualifier Test", then only you would be eligible to take part in the online "Certification Test". If you have scored an A* (Genius) or A (Excellent) grade in the certification test, then you will be awarded a “Certificate of Merit” in Software Engineering from Sanfoundry.
Software Engineering Certification Exam Overview:
Here are the details and format of the Certification Exam:
- Format: Online & Multiple Choice
- Prerequisite: Yes (Qualifier Test)
- Total Questions: 50
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Negative Marking: Yes
- Fee: Free
In the online certification test, you will be given 2 points for every correct answer. There will also be negative marking of -1 for every wrong answer. So, you have to be more careful in your test. If needed, you should skip to the next question and come back to that question later so that you can manage the time more effectively during the test.
Based on your score, you would be given one of the following Grades:
Grade A* – Genius (You scored 100%)
Grade A – Excellent (Your score is in the range of 80% to 99%)
Grade B – Good (Your score is in the range of 60% to 80%)
Grade C – Average (Your score is in the range of 40% to 60%)
Grade D – Poor (Your score is in the range of 0% to 40%)
Steps to get the Free Software Engineering CertificateHow to prepare for Software Engineering Certification Exam?
Before you start taking the certification test, it is important to study and practice our collection of 1000 Software Engineering MCQs and check your progress by taking this subject specific Practice & Mock Tests.
Once you are ready, follow the below mentioned steps:
- Sign up with Sanfoundry.
- Take this Software Engineering Qualifier Test.
- Score at least B Grade in the Qualifier test in order to be qualified to take the certification exam.
- Once you have qualified, you can take this Software Engineering Certification Test anytime (24×7).
- If you have scored either A* Grade (Genius) or A Grade (Excellent) in the test, then you are eligible for a "Certificate of Merit".
- Fill this feedback form and download your certificate of merit from here. Kindly note that we issue certificate-of-merit on a monthly basis only i.e., on 5th of the next month.
- Check your name in the list of top-rankers live here.
Software Engineering Certification FAQs1. Is a certification required to work in Software Engineering? Will it get me a job?
A certification is not mandatory, but it demonstrates your expertise in this field. So the benefit of a certification is that it can help make the process easier by showing employers that you have the skills necessary for the given job.
2. Can I do Software Engineering certification if I am a beginner?
Yes, but you should prepare the subject thoroughly by studying all the chapters and topics.
3. Is the Software Engineering exam hard?
This subject is not difficult to learn, but it's not an easy subject either. If you've practiced Software Engineering in-depth, then the test might be a little easier for you.
4. How long does it take to earn a Software Engineering certification?
The amount of time it takes to earn the certification varies depending on individual circumstances and level of experience. It typically takes several months of studying and practice to prepare for the certification exam.
5. Can I earn a college credit for my Software Engineering course if I am certified?
It depends on your college. There are few colleges and institutions which prefer the students to be certified by external institutions for a credit course. So, kindly check with your college.
6. Can I get certified in Software Engineering online?
Yes, Sanfoundry offers free online certificate in Software Engineering.
7. Which online Software Engineering Certification Course is the best?
Each online certification course has a specific focus and it prepares you for different skillset. So, there is no single best course on Software Engineering. The best you can do is to get a free certificate on this from Sanfoundry. If you are doing a self-study, you can learn the basics in the free Software Engineering Certification Course.
8. Can I get Software Engineering certification for free? How much it cost?
Yes, you can get the certification for free. A Certificate by Sanfoundry is 100% free for everyone.
9. How long is Software Engineering certification valid? Does it expire?
The certificate is valid for life. There is no need to renew your certificate or take any further steps to keep your certification active.
10. Who is eligible to take the Software Engineering certification exam?
Anyone who has been "working" or "studying" the subject can take the certification exam.
11. What is the format of the certification exam?
It is MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions) based.
12. Is there any negative marking in the online certification exam?
In the Certification exam, you will be given 2 points for every correct answer. There will also be a negative marking of -1 for every wrong answer.
13. How many times can I take the certification exam?
You can attempt the certification exam 2 times a month.
14. Are there any resources or materials available to help me prepare for the Software Engineering Certification exam?
You should practice Sanfoundry Software Engineering MCQs. Additionally, you can refer to the collection of best Software Engineering Books.
15. Are there any prerequisites for Software Engineering certification?
Yes, there is one prerequisite. You have to complete the qualifier test before taking the certification test.
16. How do I get certified in Software Engineering?
Take the Sanfoundry test, get either an A* Grade (Genius) or an A Grade (Excellent) in the Software Engineering certification exam, and earn a free certificate of merit from us.
17. How do I register for the certification exam? How to get started?
Simply signup with Sanfoundry and take the test as mentioned here.