This set of Physics Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Elements of a Communication System”.
1. How many elements are essential for any communication system?
Explanation: Communication is the very act of transmission of information. Irrespective of its nature, every communication system has three essential elements, namely a transmitter, a medium or channel, and a receiver.
2. Which of the following is the purpose of the transmitter?
a) Converts signals to electric form
b) Operating the received signal
c) Converting the signal into a suitable form
d) Reduces noise from signals
Explanation: The purpose of a transmitter is to convert the message signal produced by the source of information into a suitable form that can be transmitted through the channel that connects the transmitter and the receiver.
3. Which among the following can be an input to a transmitter?
a) Voice signal
b) Electric signal
c) Light signal
d) Wave signal
Explanation: If the output of the information source is a non-electrical signal such as a voice signal, then that’s where the transducer comes into play. The transducer converts this voice signal into an electric form before giving it as an input to the transmitter.
4. A channel can be either in the form of wires or wireless.
Explanation: Yes, this is a true statement. Depending upon the type of the communication system, a channel can be in the form of wires or cables connecting the transmitter and the receiver or it can also be wireless.
5. Which of the following is the reason for signal distortion?
a) Speed of the signal
b) Wearing down of the essential elements
c) Absence of a channel
d) Channel imperfection
Explanation: Channel imperfection is that the reason for distortion when a transmitted signal propagates along the channel. Moreover, the receiver receives a corrupted version of the transmitted signal thanks to the addition of noise to the transmitted signal.
6. What is the function of the receiver?
a) Converts signal into electric form
b) Reducing noise during transmission
c) Operating on the received signal
d) Converting the signal into a useful form
Explanation: The receiver does the function of operating on the received signal. The receiver reconstructs a recognizable form of the original message signal in order to deliver the signal to the user of information.
7. Find the odd one out.
d) Computer networking
Explanation: The telephone is the odd one out. Telephones belong to the category of point-to-point communication, whereas all the others belong to the broadcast mode of communication. In point-to-point communication mode, communication takes place over a link between a single transmitter and a receiver. In broadcast mode, there are a large number of receivers corresponding to a single transmitter.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Physics – Class 12.
To practice all areas of Physics, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Physics - Class 12
- Participate in Physics - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Physics - Class 12
- Take Physics - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10