This set of Physics Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Communication Systems – Bandwidth of Transmission Medium”.
1. Which of the following is not a medium of transmission?
a) Microwave system
c) Free space
d) Fiber optic cable
Explanation: Microwave System is not a transmission medium. Instead, it is used for the transmission of data over a cable as well as lines. All the others are commonly used transmission media. Coaxial cable is a widely used wire medium, which offers a bandwidth of approximately 750 MHz.
2. The range of radio frequencies for communication through free space is which of the following?
a) Few hundreds of Hz to a few kHz
b) Few hundreds of MHz to a few GHz
c) Few hundreds of kHz to a few GHz
d) Few hundreds of Hz to a few thousands kHz
Explanation: Communication through free space using radio waves takes place over a very wide range of frequencies, i.e. from a few hundreds of Hz to a few kHz. This range of frequencies is further subdivided and allocated for various services.
3. Identify the range of optical communication from the following.
a) Visible to ultraviolet
b) Microwaves to ultraviolet
c) Microwaves to x rays
d) X rays to gamma rays
Explanation: Optical communication which is also called optical telecommunication is referring to a type of communication at a distance using light to carry information. Optical communication using fibers is performed in the frequency range of 1 THz to 1000 THz, i.e. microwaves to ultraviolet.
4. The bandwidth of optic fiber is high.
Explanation: Yes, this is a true statement. The bandwidth of optic fiber is high due to the speed with which data can be transmitted and also the range of frequencies over which the data can travel without any attenuation. An optical fiber can offer a transmission bandwidth in excess of 100 GHz.
5. Pick out the expansion of ITU.
a) Internal Telecommunication Union
b) International Telephone Union
c) International Telecommunication University
d) International Telecommunication Union
Explanation: The expansion of ITU is the International Telecommunication Union. It is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is responsible for all the matters related to information and communication technologies. The ITU administers the present system of frequency allocations
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Physics – Class 12.
To practice all areas of Physics, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Physics - Class 12
- Participate in Physics - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Physics - Class 12
- Take Physics - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice Class 12 - Chemistry MCQs
- Buy Class 12 - Physics Books
- Practice Class 12 - Mathematics MCQs
- Practice Class 12 - Biology MCQs
- Practice Class 11 - Physics MCQs