This set of Physics Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Semiconductor Electronics – Integrated Circuits”.
1. What is the role of SiO2 in Integrated Circuits?
a) Insulating component
b) Resistance component
c) Voltage component
d) Output component
Explanation: SiO2 acts as a diffusion mask permitting selective diffusions into the silicon wafer through the window etched into oxide. In other words, it is used for creating a protective SiO2 layer on the wafer surface of the IC. Therefore, SiO2 acts as an insulating component for integrated circuits.
2. Which among the following is not easy to fabricate on an Integrated Circuit?
Explanation: Capacitors are not easy to fabricate on an Integrated Circuit. In fact, they are the most difficult ones to fabricate. This is because capacitors require a lot of attributes such as electromagnetic compatibility, microfabrication techniques, new magnetic materials, etc. and to integrate them, it costs a lot. Therefore, fabricating capacitors is a challenging task.
3. How many types of Integrated Circuits are there?
Explanation: An Integrated circuit (IC) is an assembly of electronic components, fabricated as a single unit, in which miniaturized active devices and passive devices and their interconnections are built upon a thin substrate of semiconductor material. There are about 600 different types of Integrated circuits.
4. Inductors are not used in Integrated Circuits?
Explanation: Yes, this is a true statement. In comparison with the sizes of all the other devices that are used in Integrated Circuits, inductors are fairly huge. Making small inductors with desired characteristics is very expensive, therefore, designers try not to use inductors in Integrated circuits.
5. Which of the following is mainly sued in the production of Integrated Circuits?
Explanation: Silicon is the one mainly used in the production of Integrated circuits. This is because silicon possesses many characteristics that are ideal for ICs. Silicon is used because it can be used as either an insulator or a semiconductor. This property is crucial for the manufacture of Integrated Circuits.
6. Which of the following is true regarding ICs?
a) ICs are big in size
b) ICs are heavy in nature
c) ICs are small in size and weight
d) ICs are big but has a small weight
Explanation: ICs are both small in size as well as in weight. As the fabrication process is used for the integration of active and passive components on a silicon integrated circuit, the IC becomes a lot smaller. Also, due to its small size, the weight of the IC reduces, when compared to a discrete circuit.
7. What is the maximum power rating for an IC?
a) 1 W
b) 10 W
c) 100 W
d) 1000 W
Explanation: The maximum power rating possible for a microcircuit is 10 Watts. Integrated Circuits can’t be repaired because the individual components inside the IC are too small. As a result, the facility rating for many of the IC’s doesn’t exceed quite 10 watts. It’s impossible to manufacture high power IC’s and this is often one among the most important disadvantages of Integrated Circuits.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Physics – Class 12.
To practice all areas of Physics, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Physics - Class 12
- Participate in Physics - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Physics - Class 12
- Take Physics - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10