This set of Forming Interview Questions and Answers focuses on “Hot Rolling”.
1. Which of the following is not a type of rolling mill?
a) Two-high rolling mill
b) Cluster rolling mill
c) Separation rolling mill
d) Tandem rolling mill
Explanation: Among two-high rolling mill, cluster rolling mill, separation rolling mill and tandem rolling mill. Separation rolling mill is not a type of rolling mills.
2. In two high rolling mill, what is the direction of rolling of the two rollers?
Explanation: In two high rolling mill, the direction of both the rollers is opposite to one another. Hence, one clockwise while other anti-clockwise.
3. In two high rolling mill, if the direction of the rollers is reversed, what is it called?
a) Two high backward mill
b) Two high beneath mill
c) Two high reversing mill
d) Two high anti mill
Explanation: In two high rolling mill, if the direction of the roller is reversed, then that system is called as, two high reversing mill.
4. In three high rolling mill, what is the direction of rolling of the three rollers?
a) Clockwise-clockwise- clockwise
b) Clockwise-anticlockwise- anticlockwise
c) Clockwise-anticlockwise- clockwise
d) Anticlockwise-anticlockwise-anti clockwise
Explanation: In three high rolling mill, the direction of the rollers in the top and bottom are the same, and the direction of the roller in the middle is opposite to the two.
5. How many rollers are used in four high rolling mill?
Explanation: In four high rolling mill, there are four rolls employed for roliing. The direction of two rollers is the same and the remaining two rollers roll in opposite directions.
6. The desired shape and cross section of the billet is achieved in one pass.
Explanation: The shape and the cross section shape of the billet, which is desired is not obtained in one single pass. One may have to use multiple pass to achieve desired cross section shape.
7. Which of the following property does not improve in the hot rolling process, of a cast?
b) Shock resistance
d) Boiling point
Explanation: When a rolled stack is made, there is an improvement seen in the physical properties of the material, it does not affect the boiling point of the material.
8. Which of the following articles cannot be made from rolling?
Explanation: Rolling is very useful for making articles like bars, plates and rails, but it cannot be used for making helmets. For making helmets, different methods of casting are used.
9. Before beginning the process, the ingots are heated up to what temperature?
Explanation: The material ingot is known for sustaining high temperature and heat conditions. Before the process begins, the ingot is fired using gas and brought up to a temperature of 1200°C.
10. In hot rolling process, velocity of material at exit is lowest.
Explanation: In hot rolling process, the velocity of material at entry is lower than the velocity at exit.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Forming.
To practice all areas of Forming for Interviews, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.