This set of Casting, Forming and Welding Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Cupola Charge Calculations”.
1. What is the amount of pig iron in a cupola charge?
a) 10% – 20%
b) 10% – 30%
c) 30% – 40%
d) 20% – 45%
Explanation: The amount of pig iron present inside a cupola charge varies from 10% to 30%, where the exact amount depends upon the type of iron that is used.
2. How much steel scrap is present in refined irons?
a) More than 25%
b) More than 60%
c) More than 50%
d) More than 95%
Explanation: Refined irons are considered to be the second best source of high carbon material. The steel scrap which is present in refined irons is a little more than 50%.
3. What is the main source of high carbon steel material?
a) Pig iron
b) Cast iron
c) White iron
d) Steel scrap
Explanation: Steel scrap is a big source for high carbon steel materials, but is considered as the second biggest source. The main source for high carbon steel materials is pig iron.
4. According to the UK standards, in general, what is the diameter of the iron bar which is used in iron castings?
5. What is the tensile strength of grade 220 iron?
a) 220 Dyne/mm2
b) 220 N/m2
c) 220 N/mm2
d) 220 Dyne/cm2
Explanation: According to the standards of UK, the castings are made in a specified grade of iron. Hence, iron having a grade of 220, is equivalent to iron having a tensile strength of 220 N/mm2.
6. The sulphur content in acid-cupola operation does not depend on which of the following factors?
a) Quantity of coke
b) Slag basicity
c) Tensile strength of the steel
d) Quantity of steel
Explanation: In the acid-cupola reaction, the sulphur content is always increased. This increase in the sulphur content depends on quantity of coke, quantity of steel, the slag basicity, but not the tensile strength of steel.
7. What should be the lowest sulphur pick-up in the acid-cupola reaction?
Explanation: There is no such method in existence which will be able to tell us the amount of sulphur pick-up. But, the lowest amount of sulphur pick-up in acid-cupola reaction should not be more than 10%.
8. What should be the highest sulphur pick-up in the acid-cupola reaction?
Explanation: There is no such way by which one may be able to identify the amount of sulphur pick-up. But, the highest amount of sulphur pick-up in acid-cupola reaction should not be more than 80% to 90%.
9. Close temperature control is easy to maintain in the cupola.
Explanation: It is considered among one of the limitations of cupola, that the close temperature control is a little difficult to maintain in the operation of a cupola.
10. Cupola operation is inexpensive.
Explanation: Cupola operations are considered to be having a simple design and its construction is also simple. The initial cost is low when compared to other furnaces, hence the operation is considered to be an inexpensive one.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Casting, Forming and Welding.
To practice all areas of Casting, Forming and Welding, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Casting Forming and Welding II
- Participate in Casting Forming and Welding II Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Casting Forming and Welding II
- Take Casting Forming and Welding II Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Apply for Metallurgical Engineering Internship
- Buy Casting, Forming and Welding II Books
- Practice Metallurgical Engineering MCQs
- Practice Mechanical Engineering MCQs
- Buy Mechanical Engineering Books