This set of Casting online quiz focuses on “Introduction of Foundry Industry”.
1. Which of the following is not a type of a foundry?
a) Captive foundry
b) Jobbing foundry
c) Semi Production foundry
d) Auto production foundry
Explanation: Foundries are classified according to their type of work and the form of constitution and structure of their organization. The foundries are hence classified into four types namely, captive foundry, jobbing foundry, semi production foundry and production foundry.
2. What is the total capacity possessed by ferrous Indian foundries?
a) 1,00,000 tons
b) 1,50,000 tons
c) 2,00,000 tons
d) 2,50,000 tons
Explanation: There are many foundries in India. A few big foundries are located in Durgapur, Asansol, Rourkela, Bhopal and Bangalore. The total capacity possessed by Indian ferrous foundries is more than 2,50,000 tons.
3. Which of the following is a ferrous foundry?
a) Brass foundry
b) Bronze foundry
c) High alloy steel foundry
d) Zinc-base foundry
Explanation: Among the following, a high alloy steel foundry is a type of steel foundry and steel foundries come under ferrous foundries, while the remaining ones are non-ferrous foundries.
4. Which of the following is not a metal joining process?
Explanation: Riveting, brazing, pressing, soldering, adhesive bonding and bolt-screw fastening are few of the techniques of metal joining process. But, bending is not one of them, it is a shaping process.
5. In an automobile engine, up to what percent of parts are manufactured by casting?
Explanation: Casting is one of the most all round process used in manufacturing. Up to 90% of the automobile engine parts are manufactured using casting, and around 50% of the total weight of the tractor is manufactured using casting.
6. Which of the following is not a metal removing process?
Explanation: Grinding, milling, hobbing, planning, reaming, shaping, boring, turning and broaching are a few of the techniques of metal removing process. But, swaging is not a part of them, it is a type of metal shaping process.
7. Which of the following is a metal shaping process?
a) Press forging
Explanation: Among the following, broaching is a metal machining process or a metal removal process, riveting is a metal joining process, lapping is a surface finishing process and press forging is a shaping process.
8. Casting provides uniform directional properties.
Explanation: Casting provides a great amount of freedom in terms of design. It helps in providing uniform directional properties and good vibrational properties.
9. Which of the following is not a surface finishing process?
Explanation: Honing, grinding, anodizing, lapping, polishing and metal spraying are a few of the surface finishing techniques. But, boring is not one of them, it is a technique that is used for metal removal process.
10. Products made through casting can avoid joining process.
Explanation: Products which are made from casting processes, possess an advantage of being formed into one single piece. When the production is done in one piece, it eliminates the requirement of any joining process.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Casting.
To practice all areas of Casting for online Quizzes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Casting Forming and Welding II
- Participate in Casting Forming and Welding II Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Casting Forming and Welding II
- Take Casting Forming and Welding II Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10