This set of Casting, Forming and Welding Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Metal Forming Processes”.
1. Forming is a process that changes the shape of the metal by changing its phase.
Explanation: Forming is basically a term that covers many manufacturing processes. In the metal forming process, the shape of the material or metal is changed by performing an operation like hammering, squeezing, bending, pulling etc. without changing its phase. The raw materials used in the forming process remained in a single solid phase.
2. Which of the following components is mainly manufactured by performing metal forging?
b) Engine block
c) Connecting rod
Explanation: Connecting rod is mainly manufactured by forging operation which is specifically known as hot forging process, while parts like piston, crankcase and engine blocks are manufactured by a casting process. In the forging process, a hammer is used which strikes on the heated metallic part to get into the desired shape.
3. The metal forging operation can only be performed by manual means.
Explanation: Metal forging is a forming operation which usually performs hammering process to shape the metal part. In the forging process, the metal part is heated sufficiently, and then it is hammered by using a hammer which can be performed by manual means or by automation, depending on the scale of production.
4. Which of the following metal forming processes performs squeezing out of material through a hole?
Explanation: Extrusion process is a type of metal forming process, in which the material is forced or squeezed out through a hole called die. This process is very similar to squeezing out the toothpaste from the tube. This process is mainly used for metals that are ductile in nature like copper, steel, aluminum and magnesium; this process is also used for polymers.
5. Metal forming is a process in which the metal is deformed plastically to get into the desired shape.
Explanation: In general, the metal forming is a large set of manufacturing processes in which the metal is deformed plastically to get into the shape of the die geometry. The tools like dies and punches are mostly used in the processes for the deformation of the material. For the plastic deformation, Stresses beyond the yield strength of the material is required.
6. Which of the following processes is not the type of bulk forming process in the metal forming?
Explanation: Bulk forming is a deformation process which results in a massive shape change of the material. The ratio of surface area to volume of the material is relatively small. It includes processes like forging, extrusion and rolling. But the bending process is a part of sheet metal forming which has surface area to volume ratio relatively high.
7. Which of the following manufacturing processes is mainly considered for producing the components of very high strength?
Explanation: Forging is a deformation process in which the material is compressed between the dies by using the impact load or hydraulic load. This process includes large forces that gradually or instantly deformed the material resulting in production of variety of high strength components like connecting rods, gears, jet engine turbine parts, aircraft parts etc.
8. In metal forging process, the gravity drop hammers are operated by a ram using steam or pressurized air.
Explanation: In the metal forming process, drop hammers are mainly of two types which are gravity drop hammer and power drop hammer. Gravity drop hammers are the tools which achieve their energy by the falling weight of a heavy ram. The force mainly depends on the height of the drop and the weight of the ram. And power drop hammers are in which a ram is accelerated by the steam or pressurized air.
9. Rolling is a forming process in which thickness of the metal plate is decreased by increasing its length.
Explanation: Rolling is a metal forming process in which the metal plate is squeezed between the two hard rollers. In the operation, the thickness is decreased and the length is increased as the volume of the metal is conserved. This method is mainly used for the production of thin metal plates which can be done by performing hot rolling or cold rolling, depending on the required mechanical properties.
10. Which of the following metal forming processes is best suitable for making the wires?
Explanation: Drawing is a metal forming process which is widely used for making the wires from round bars of metal. This process is similar to extrusion process, except that instead of pressure on the metal mass, in drawing, the wire is pulled from one side of the metallic round bar which results into the formation of thin wires. This process is only suitable for ductile materials.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Casting, Forming and Welding.
To practice all areas of Casting, Forming and Welding, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Casting Forming and Welding II
- Participate in Casting Forming and Welding II Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Casting Forming and Welding II
- Take Casting Forming and Welding II Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Mechanical Engineering Books
- Practice Metallurgical Engineering MCQs
- Apply for Casting, Forming and Welding II Internship
- Buy Metallurgical Engineering Books
- Practice Mechanical Engineering MCQs