This set of Casting Problems focuses on “Air Requirements And Metallurgical Control For Cupola”.
1. What mass of oxygen is required for burning 1 kg of iron?
a) 1.12 kg
b) 2.67 kg
c) 2.35 kg
d) 1.92 kg
Explanation: Oxygen is the primary requirement for the process of burning to take place. For the burning of a metal such as iron, a high amount of oxygen will be needed. The mass of oxygen required for burning iron is 2.67 kg.
2. What volume of oxygen is required for burning 1 kg of carbon?
a) 7.67 m3
b) 9.89 m3
c) 8.98 m3
d) 6.67 m3
3. Carbon pickup does not depend on which of the following factors?
a) Size of coke
b) Height of coke bed
c) Cupola temperature
d) Cupola diameter
Explanation: Magnitude of carbon pickup depends on various factors such as the presence of original carbon content, size of the coke, height of the coke bed, temperature of cupola and a few more, but it does not depend on the diameter of the cupola.
4. In the iron-iron carbide diagram, what is the carbon percentage by weight at eutectic point?
Explanation: In the iron iron-carbide equilibrium diagram, the eutectic point is achieved at a temperature of 1147°C. At this point, the percentage amount of carbon is 4.3% by weight.
5. In the iron-iron carbide diagram, what is the carbon percentage by weight at eutectoid point?
6. At what temperature, in the Fe-Fe3C diagram, does the peritectic region occur?
Explanation: In the iron – iron carbide diagram, or the Fe-Fe3C equilibrium diagram, the peritectic transformation occurs at a very high temperature. The temperature point of peritectic reaction takes place is 1492°C.
7. In the iron-iron carbide diagram, what is the carbon percentage by weight in the peritectic region?
8. Carbon picks up can be of what order?
Explanation: In carbon pick up, there is an increase in the carbon content because of absorption from coke, but there is a reduction also, because of oxidation. The order of carbon pick up can be of 15%.
9. During metallurgical control, what is the amount of manganese that is lost?
Explanation: During metallurgical control, the amount of manganese lost is about 15%. This loss takes place because of the presence of oxygen, that is, an oxidation reaction takes place.
10. Sulphur is present in coke.
Explanation: Sulphur is present in coke, but in a very small composition, approximately 0.5% to 1%, which is picked up by cast iron.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Casting.
To practice all areas of Casting Problems, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Casting Forming and Welding II
- Participate in Casting Forming and Welding II Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Casting Forming and Welding II
- Take Casting Forming and Welding II Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Casting, Forming and Welding II Books
- Apply for Mechanical Engineering Internship
- Apply for Metallurgical Engineering Internship
- Apply for Casting, Forming and Welding II Internship
- Practice Mechanical Engineering MCQs