This set of Linear Integrated Circuit Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “IC Chip Size and Circuit Complexity”.
1. How many gates per chip are used in first generation Integrated Circuits?
d) More than 3000
Explanation: The first generation ICs belongs to small scale integration, which consists of 3-30 gates per chip (approximately).
2. Find the chip area for a Medium Scale Integration IC?
a) 8 mm3
b) 4 mm2
c) 64 mm3
d) 16 mm2
Explanation: The approximate length and breadth of Medium Scale Integration would be 4 mm. Therefore, its area is given as = length × breadth = 4mm × 4mm = 16mm2.
3. The number of transistors used in Very Large Scale Integration is
a) 107 transistors/chip
b) 106 – 107 transistors/chip
c) 203 – 105 transistors/chip
d) 102 – 203 transistors/chip
Explanation: Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) ICs are fabricated using more than 3000 gates/chip, which is equivalent to 20,000 – 1,00,00,00 transistors/chip.
4. What type of integration is chosen to fabricate Integrated Circuits like Counters, multiplexers and Adders?
a) Small Scale Integration (SSI)
b) Medium Scale Integration (MSI)
c) Large Scale Integration (LSI)
d) Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI)
Explanation: Fabrication of ICs like counter, multiplexers and Adders requires 30-300 gates per chip. Therefore, Medium Scale Integration is best suitable.
5. Determine the chip area for Large Scale Integration ICs.
a) 1,00,000 mil2
b) 10,000 mil2
c) 1,60,000 mil2
d) 16,000 mil2
Explanation: The chip area for a Large Scale Integration IC is 1 cm2.
=> Area of LSI = 10mm × 10mm = 1cm × 1 cm = 1cm2.
=> 1,60,000mil2 (1cm=400mil).
6. Ultra Large Scale Integration are used in fabrication of
a) 8-bit microprocessors, RAM, ROM
b) 16 and 32- bit microprocessors
c) Special processors and Smart sensors
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: Ultra Large Scale Integration have nearly 106 – 107 transistors/chip. Hence, it is possible to fabricate smart sensors and special processor.
7. The concept of Integrated circuits was introduced at the beginning of 1960 by
a) Texas instrument and Fairchild Semiconductor
b) Bell telephone laboratories and Fair child Semiconductor
c) Fairchild Semiconductor
d) Texas instrument and Bell telephone Laboratories
Explanation: The concept of Integrated circuits was introduced by Texas instrument and Fairchild Semiconductor, whereas Bell telephone laboratories developed the concept of transistors.
8. Which process is used to produce small circuits of micron range on silicon wafer?
a) Photo etching
d) Ion implantation
Explanation: It is possible to fabricate as many as 10,000 transistors on a 1cmX1cm chip, using photolithography process.
9. Mention the technique used in photolithography process
a) X-ray lithographic technique
b) Ultraviolet lithographic technique
c) Electron beam lithographic technique
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: All these techniques are used to produce device dimension as small as 2µm or even down to sub micron range (<1µm).
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Linear Integrated Circuits.
To practice all areas of Linear Integrated Circuits, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.