This set of Dairy Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Fungi”.
1. Fungi can be divided as __________
c) Yeast and mold
Explanation: Fungi are a group of micro-organisms which are frequently found in nature among plants, animals and human beings. They can be divided into two categories namely yeast and mold.
2. Which one of the following is called the ‘brewer’s yeast’?
a) Saccharomyces ludwigi
b) Saccharomyces cerevisiae
c) Saccharomyces boulardii
d) Saccharomyces pastorianus
Explanation: Saccharomyces cerevisiae is also known as brewer’s yeast. It helps in the fermentation of beer.
3. Which of the following is the source of Vitamin A?
b) Rhodotorula gracilis
Explanation: Rhodotorula gracilis is yeast. It is rich in vitamin A.
4. Yeast cells are good source of __________
a) Vitamin A and B
b) Vitamin A and D
c) Vitamin B and D
d) Vitamin K
Explanation: Yeasts are considered to be a very good source of Vitamin B and Vitamin D.
5. Roquefort cheese is ripened by __________
a) Penicillium roqueforti
b) Penicillium camemberti
c) Penicillium sp
d) Penicillium rhizogenes
Explanation: Penicillium roqueforti helps in the ripening of Roquefort cheese. Penicillium is a mold.
6. Penicillium camemberti is used for ripening of __________
a) roqueforti cheese
b) camembert cheese
c) all cheese
Explanation: Camembert cheese is a soft cheese. It is ripened by Penicillium camemberti.
7. Which of the following is a heteroceous fungus?
Explanation: Puccinia is a heteroceous fungus in the above group of funguses.
8. In certain parasitic fungi a hook like structure is formed at the point of contact with the host known as __________
c) Hold fast
Explanation: Appresorium is the hook like structure formed at the point of contact with the host. It is observed in parasitic fungi.
9. Fungi which grow on dung are termed as __________
Explanation: Some variety of fungi grows on dung. These are known as Coprophilus.
10. The fruiting body of Aspergillus is called _______
Explanation: Cleistothecium is the fruiting body of Aspergillus. They are responsible for reproduction.
11. All fungi are ______
Explanation: It has been found that all fungi are Heterotrophs. They derive its nutritional requirements from complex organic substances.
12. One of the common fungal diseases of man is __________
Explanation: Ringworm is a fungal disease. Cholera, Plague and ringworm are not fungal diseases.
13. Aflatoxin is produced by ________
Explanation: Aflatoxins are toxins produced by certain fungi that are found on agricultural crops such as maize (corn), peanuts, cottonseed, and tree nuts.
14. Yeast is unlike bacteria in being __________
Explanation: While bacteria can be prokaryotic. Yeasts are Eukaryotic organisms.
15. “Perfect stage” of a fungus means __________
a) When the fungus is perfectly healthy
b) When it reproduces asexually
c) When it forms perfect sexual spores
d) When form no spores
Explanation: Fungus undergoes reproduction. Formation of perfect sexual spores can also be termed as “Perfect stage” of fungus.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Dairy Engineering.
To practice all areas of Dairy Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.