This set of Engineering Materials & Metallurgy Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Insulating Materials – 1”.
1. Which of the following is an application of asbestos?
b) Conduction of heat
c) X-ray tubes
d) Optical glass
Explanation: Asbestos is a common insulation material used for fireproofing and in buildings or industrial applications. Natural asbestos is found in rocks and has a density equal to that of the rock.
2. What kind of mineral is Chrysotile?
Explanation: Chrysotile is the most important mineral type of asbestos, accounting for close to 93% of the asbestos production. It is a hydrated magnesium silicate formed from a group of serpentine mineral. They have good fire resistance, are flexible, and tough.
3. Which of the following is a characteristic of asbestos minerals?
a) Poor strength
b) Heat resistance
c) Poor bonding
d) Reacts with acids
Explanation: Asbestos minerals are highly preferred in their fibrous form. They possess high strength, surface area, and good bonding characteristics. They are also resistant to heat, acids, and moisture.
4. What is the specific heat of Chrysotile?
Explanation: Chrysotile is the most preferred mineral of asbestos. However, it has poor resistance to acids and alkalies. Its specific heat is 0.266 BTU/lb/F.
5. Which is of following is not an asbestos mineral?
Explanation: Asbestos is a term used to describe a list of minerals. These fibrous minerals are chrysotile, amosite, crocidolite, actinolite, tremolite, and anthophyllite. Pyroceram, on the other hand, is a type of glass.
6. What makes up the primary composition of glass?
Explanation: Glass is primarily composed of SiO2 with over 70% in bulb and bottle glass, and over 80% in Pyrex. K2O Is generally found having a composition of less than or around 1%. MgO and BaO aren’t found in Pyrex but are available in bottle and bulb glass having less than 4%.
7. Pyrex glass is otherwise known as _________ glass.
a) soda lime
b) fused silica
Explanation: Pyrex is a glass mainly used for manufacturing laboratory equipment. It is more commonly known by the name of borosilicate glass. This glass has a low expansion coefficient and a good spalling resistance.
8. Pyroceram glass softens above ______
Explanation: Pyroceram is a common glass type of crystalline glass. This crystalline glass softens above 2000oC and has a low specific heat of about 0.1.
9. Cork is composed of _____ air.
Explanation: Cork is an insulating material made from the outer bark of oak trees. It is composed of at least 50% air, which makes it one of the lightest solids. It has a specific gravity of around 0.25.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Engineering Materials & Metallurgy.
To practice all areas of Engineering Materials & Metallurgy, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Engineering Materials and Metallurgy
- Participate in Engineering Materials and Metallurgy Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Engineering Materials and Metallurgy
- Take Engineering Materials and Metallurgy Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice Metallurgical Engineering MCQs
- Apply for Engineering Materials Internship
- Buy Metallurgical Engineering Books
- Apply for Metallurgical Engineering Internship
- Buy Engineering Materials Books