This set of Surveying Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Errors and Precaution”.
1. Which of the following acts as an advantage of plane table surveying?
a) Accuracy in output
b) Inconvenient in wet climate
c) Heavy instruments
d) Used in magnetic areas
Explanation: Plane table finds its usage in case of magnetic areas. When remaining methods are considered, it may involve the usage of compass, which doesn’t work in magnetic areas. This is its major advantage over remaining methods.
2. Plane table surveying requires great skill.
Explanation: Plane table surveying involves very basic level principles, which doesn’t need any in depth knowledge. It can be done in one setting if basics are strong enough.
3. Which of the following operation can be done clearly in case of plane table surveying?
a) Area computation
Explanation: Plane table surveying involves in determining traverse of the area by which the area of the land can be determined. Contouring can also be done with the help of plane tabling, which provides a clear and step by step procedure.
4. It is difficult for reproducing the traverse in different scale.
Explanation: Since the measurements which are obtained while doing the work aren’t recorded, it is a very difficult state to reproduce the same map if required in different scale.
5. Which of the following can be a disadvantage to plane table surveying?
a) Heavy instruments
b) Convenient in wet climate
c) No Accuracy in output
d) Not used in magnetic areas
Explanation: Plane table involves in the usage of more amount of instruments, which makes it uncomfortable while working in wet climatic conditions like rainy season.
6. Possibility of error in plane table surveying is ____________
Explanation: Error occurrence is a bit controllable in case of plane table surveying. But the usage of compass increases the errors in the output obtained.
7. Let the instrument station be V and there is a displacement of 50 cm in its placement in the direction of ray. What is the true position if the scale is 1cm = 700 meters?
a) 0.017 cm
b) 0.107 cm
c) 0.071 cm
d) 0.170 cm
Explanation: The true position due to displacement can be considered as
a*aꞌ = e*s meters. The value of s can be given as s = 1/700 and e = 50 cm. On substitution, we get
a*aꞌ = 50/700 = 0.071 cm.
8. Which of the following is an error occurred due to sighting?
a) Instrumental errors
b) Defective orientation
c) Personal errors
d) Natural errors
Explanation: Sighting is a process which involves in the determination of the station points. Error in sighting occurs due to manipulation, it involves non-horizontality of board, defective orientation, defective sighting, centering.
9. Which of the following makes plane table not suitable in many cases?
a) More errors produced
b) Less errors produced
c) Zero errors
d) Negligible errors
Explanation: Plane table surveying, though having more methods involved, is not considered as the preferable method because it may produce more amounts of errors when compared to other methods. But it is adopted when speed of the method is considered.
10. Which of the following is more in case of plane table surveying?
Explanation: Plane table surveying involves more advantages like recording and plotting at a time, clear contouring, cheaper than theodolite etc. even though more advantages were there but it is generally not considered because it involves more instruments which makes it quite uncomfortable.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Surveying.
To practice all areas of Surveying, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.