This set of Surveying Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Three Point Problem”.
1. In three point problem, orientation and resection are done simultaneously.
Explanation: In the process of three point problem, the intersection of the three resectors in a point gives the location of the instrument station. Thus, the orientation and resection are accomplished in the some operation.
2. Which of the following serves as a solution for three point problem?
a) Traverse method
b) Axis method
c) Mechanical method
d) Transit method
Explanation: The solution for three point problem can be solved by mechanical method, graphical method and Lehman’s method. Each one can be employed based on the problem raised due to orientation.
3. Mechanical method is also known as________
a) Graphical method
b) Axis method
c) Trial and error method
d) Tracing paper method
Explanation: Due to the usage of tracing paper involved in this process, mechanical method is also called as tracing paper method.
4. In graphical method, why Bessel’s method is chosen the best?
a) Due to accuracy in result
b) Due to quick output
c) Due to ease in handling
d) Due to economical issues
Explanation: Among the several graphical methods available, Bessel’s method is chosen the best due to its accuracy in obtaining the values which might help in producing accurate output.
5. Among the three point and two point problems, the solution from two point problem will serve better output?
Explanation: Three point problems are capable of producing precise values and accurate output than the solution from two point problem. Because speed is the only factor concerned in case of two point problem solutions.
6. Which process involves more labour work?
a) Mechanical method
b) Graphical method
c) Two point problem
d) Three point problem
Explanation: When compared to the three point problem, the solution obtained from two point problem involves more labour work as speed is the first priority.
7. Which among the following doesn’t serve as a solution for proper orientation of plane table?
a) Resection by compass
b) Resection by three point problem
c) Resection by two point problem
d) Resection by graphical triangulation
Explanation: Graphical triangulation is a method usually involves locating a station point and marking the remaining points, followed by changing the instrument to another point and computing the remaining points from which the required distance between the points can be found out. It doesn’t come under the category of resection.
8. Which of the following methods of three point problem is a tedious one?
a) Lehman’s method
b) Graphical method
c) Axis method
d) Mechanical method
Explanation: Lehman’s process, also known as trial and error process, involves a lot of trial and error, which makes it a tedious process.
9. Which shapes are generally formed in Lehman’s method?
Explanation: A triangle is the most commonly used shape in case of surveying as it covers entire area in a framework which makes calculations easier.
10. Usage of Lehman’s method involves following certain rules.
Explanation: Lehman’s method is accompanied by certain rules which must be followed for obtaining an accurate solution for solving three point problem.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Surveying.
To practice all areas of Surveying, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.