This set of Advanced Machining Processes Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Water Jet Machining – Introduction and Machining system”.
1. What is the full form of WJM in advanced machining processes?
a) Water Jack Manufacturing
b) Water Jet Machining
c) Water Jet Manufacturing
d) Water Jack Manufacturing
Explanation: The full form of WJM is water jet machining in advanced machining processes.
2. What is the key element of water jet machining for material removal?
a) Tool Holder
b) Work piece
c) Water jet
d) Power source
Explanation: Water jet is the one, which is used to cut the work piece and to remove material.
3. What is the velocity of water jet stream in water jet machining?
a) 100 m/sec
b) 300 m/sec
c) 700 m/sec
d) 900 m/sec
Explanation: Velocity of water jet stream that is used in Water jet machining is about 900 m/sec.
4. Which of the following is not a part of machining system of Water jet machining?
c) Jet cutting nozzle
d) Hydraulic pump
Explanation: Transducer is not a part of Water jet machining and other components come under WJM.
5. What is the general power rating of the hydraulic pump, used in WJM?
a) 10 kW
b) 20 kW
c) 30 kW
d) 40 kW
Explanation: The power rating of the motor of hydraulic pump, which is used in WJM is about 30 kW.
6. Which of the following are the components of intensifier present in water jet machining system?
c) Limit switch
d) All of the mentioned.
Explanation: The above mentioned components are present in the intensifier of water jet machining.
7. Intensifier increases the pressure water by which of the following values?
a) 10 – 100 MPa
b) 100 – 200 MPa
c) 200 – 400 MPa
d) 400 – 1000 MPa
Explanation: Use of intensifier is to increase the inlet water pressure to 200 – 400 MPa.
8. On which property of water, will the accumulator in Water jet machining rely on?
Explanation: Accumulator relies on compressibility of water (12% at 3800bar), in order to maintain a uniform discharge pressure in WJM.
9. What are the values of typical tube diameters in the machining system in WJM?
a) 0.1 to 1 mm
b) 1 to 6 mm
c) 6 to 14 mm
d) 14 to 25 mm
Explanation: Typical tube diameter values range between 6 to 14 mm.
10. What is the expected life of the nozzles used in WJM?
a) 10 hrs
b) 20 hrs
c) 100 hrs
d) 200 hrs
Explanation: The life that is expected from the nozzle, which is a part of machining system, is 200 hrs.
11. Which of the following does not damage the nozzle used in Water jet machining?
a) Particles of dirt
b) Mineral deposits
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: Only dirt particles and mineral deposits are responsible for damage of nozzle.
12. What are the uses of catcher in machining system of Water jet machining?
a) Collecting dirt
b) Collection of debris
c) Reduce noise levels
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: Catcher in WJM is used to collect the dirt, machined debris and reduce the noise levels.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Advanced Machining.
To practice all areas of Advanced Machining, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.