This set of Advanced Machining Processes Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “AJM – Material Removal Rate and Process paramters”.
1. In AJM, what is the mechanism of removal of material from the work piece?
c) Electron transfer
Explanation: In Abrasive jet machining, the removal of material takes places by mechanical abrasion, using abrasive grains.
2. In AJM, abrasive jet from the nozzle follows, which type of path for a short distance?
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: Abrasive particles follow a parallel path for short distance and then flare outward.
3. Which of the following components, influence the material removal rate in Abrasive jet machining?
b) Carrier gas
c) Abrasive grains
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: All the components mentioned above, influence the rate of material removal, directly or indirectly.
4. Of the following properties of nozzle, which of them does not influence the MRR?
c) Outside temperature
d) Distance from work piece
Explanation: The outside temperature of nozzle has no influence on the material removal rate.
5. Of the following properties of abrasive grains, which of them changes rate of material removal?
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: The above mentioned properties of abrasive grains influence the material removal rate.
6. As the abrasive flow rate increases, what happens to the volumetric removal rate?
c) Increase and then decrease
d) Decrease and then increase
Explanation: In AJM, volumetric removal rate increases up to a level and then decreases.
7. What is the value of abrasive grain flow rate in Abrasive jet machining?
a) 0.1 – 2 g/min
b) 3 – 20 g/min
c) 30 – 56 g/min
d) 68 – 85 g/min
Explanation: Abrasive grain flow rate is between 3 – 20 g/min, in AJM.
8. What must be the velocity of the carrier gas that carries the abrasive particles?
a) 10 – 50 m/sec
b) 50 – 150 m/sec
c) 150 –300 m/sec
d) 300 – 500 m/sec
Explanation: Velocity of abrasive carrier gas must be between 150 – 300 m/sec.
9. What is the value of carrier gas flow rate in Abrasive jet machining?
a) 6 L/min
b) 17 L/min
c) 28 L/min
d) 39 L/min
Explanation: In Abrasive jet machining, the flow rate of abrasive carrier gas is around 28 L/min.
10. Which of the following material/s cannot be used for making of nozzle in Abrasive jet machining?
a) Tungsten Carbide
b) Steel alloy
d) Synthetic sapphire
Explanation: Nozzle in Abrasive jet machining is made up of sapphire or WC.
11. Between which of the following values, does the diameter of the nozzle lies?
a) 0.01 – 0.10 mm
b) 0.30 – 0.50 mm
c) 0.70 – 0.90 mm
d) 1.10 – 1.50 mm
Explanation: In AJM, Diameter of the nozzle ranges between 0.30 – 0.50 mm.
12. What is the life of Tungsten carbide material nozzle?
a) 1 – 8 hrs
b) 2 – 5 hrs
c) 10 – 15 hrs
d) 25 – 40 hrs
Explanation: Nozzle made up of WC material has a life period which range between 10 – 15 hrs.
13. In AJM, what is the life of synthetic sapphire material nozzle?
a) 100 hrs
b) 300 hrs
c) 500 hrs
d) 700 hrs
Explanation: Nozzle made up of synthetic sapphire material has a life period which is about 300 hrs.
14. What are the tolerance limit values in Abrasive water jet machining?
a) ± 0.01 mm
b) ± 0.03 mm
c) ± 0.05 mm
d) ± 0.07 mm
Explanation: In Abrasive jet machining, tolerance limit values range between ± 0.05 mm.
15. In AJM, surface roughness value will vary between which values?
a) 0.01 – 0.10 µm
b) 0.15 – 1.5 µm
c) 2.0 – 5.0 µm
d) 7.0 – 10.0 µm
Explanation: Surface roughness value in AJM varies between 0.15 – 1.5 µm, depending on grain size.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Advanced Machining.
To practice all areas of Advanced Machining, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.