This set of Advanced Machining Processes Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “USM – Machining System”.
1. The machining system of USM contains which of the following components?
c) Tools and slurry
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: In machining system of USM, the above mentioned components have to be present.
2. State whether following statement is true or false.
“In Ultrasonic Machining, Magnetostrictor is energized at ultrasonic frequency.”
Explanation: To oscillate, magnetostrictor must be energized to ultrasonic frequency in USM.
3. Of the following scientists, who discovered magnetostrictor effect?
b) Steve O Flawer
Explanation: This effect was discovered by Joule in 1874 at Manchester.
4. In Ultrasonic Machining, magnetostrictor converts magnetic energy into which type of energy?
a) Mechanical energy
b) Electrical energy
c) Thermal energy
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: Oscillation of magnetostrictor takes place by converting magnetic energy to mechanical energy.
5. What is the value of the amplitude obtained without mechanical amplifier?
a) 0.0001 – 0.001 µm
b) 0.001 – 0.1 µm
c) 1 – 10 µm
d) 10 – 100 µm
Explanation: Relatively very small amplitudes are obtained without amplifier.
6. What is the value of the amplitude obtained when we use mechanical amplifier?
a) 1 – 10 µm
b) 10 – 40 µm
c) 40 – 50 µm
d) 50 – 100 µm
Explanation: Relatively larger amplitudes are obtained when amplifier is used.
7. State whether the following statement is true or false.
“In USM, tool tips must have low resistance and fatigue strength.”
Explanation: In USM, tool tips should must have high wear resistance and fatigue strength.
8. At what rate slurry is pumped through nozzle in USM?
a) 10 L/min
b) 25 L/min
c) 50 L/min
d) 75 L/min
Explanation: Slurry is pumped through nozzle at the rate of 25 L/min, L- litres.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Advanced Machining.
To practice all areas of Advanced Machining, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.