This set of Advanced Machining Processes Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Electro Discharge Machining-Introduction”.
1. In advanced machining processes, what is the full form of EDM?
a) Electro discharge Machining
b) Electro discharge Manufacturing
c) Electrical dimensioning Machining
d) Electrode dimensions Manufacturing
Explanation: Full form of EDM in advanced machining processes is, Electrodischarge machining.
2. The evolution of wire EDM took place in which part of history?
Explanation: Evolution of wire EDM in 1970s was due to powerful generators, new wire electrodes, improved machining intelligence and better flushing.
3. Machining speeds have gone up to how many times after the invention of EDM?
Explanation: Machining speeds have gone up to 20 times after the invention of EDM.
4. By using EDM, how much percentage of machining costs can be reduced?
a) 10 %
b) 20 %
c) 30 %
d) 50 %
Explanation: EDM decreased the machined cost at least by 30 %.
5. After invention of EDM, surface finish have improved by how much factor?
Explanation: Surface finish have been improved by a factor of 15 after the invention of EDM.
6. Cavities with, which of the following factors can be produced using Electro discharge machining?
a) Thin walls
b) Fine features
c) All of the mentioned
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: Cavities with thin walls and fine features can be machined using EDM.
7. Which of the following geometries can be machined using EDM?
c) Difficult to cut
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: Electrodischarge machining can be used for simple as well as complex geometries.
8. State whether following statement is true or false regarding EDM.
“In EDM, process is affected by hardness of material.”
Explanation: EDM process is not affected by the hardness of material.
9. How much amount of burr is produced in this process?
a) 10 %
b) 40 %
c) 70 %
d) No burr
Explanation: Electro discharge machining is a burr free process.
10. Which of the following mechanisms is used for material removal?
a) Electro discharge erosion
b) Magnetic abrasion
c) Electro chemical dissolution
d) Mechanical erosion
Explanation: Material is removed by electro discharge erosion (EDE) in EDM.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Advanced Machining.
To practice all areas of Advanced Machining, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.