This set of Casting Problems focuses on “Air Requirements And Metallurgical Control For Cupola”.
1. What mass of oxygen is required for burning 1 kg of iron?
a) 1.12 kg
b) 2.67 kg
c) 2.35 kg
d) 1.92 kg
Explanation: Oxygen is the primary requirement for the process of burning to take place. For burning of a metal such as iron, a high amount of oxygen will be needed. The mass of oxygen required for burning iron is 2.67 kg.
2. What volume of oxygen is required for burning 1 kg of carbon?
a) 7.67 m3
b) 9.89 m3
c) 8.98 m3
d) 6.67 m3
3. Carbon pickup does not depend on which of the following factors?
a) Size of coke
b) Height of coke bed
c) Cupola temperature
d) Cupola diameter
Explanation: Magnitude of carbon pickup depends on various factors such as, presence of original carbon content, size of the coke, height of the coke bed, temperature of cupola and a few more, but it does not depend on the diameter of the cupola.
4. In the iron-iron carbide diagram, what is the carbon percentage by weight at eutectic point?
Explanation: In the iron iron-carbide equilibrium diagram, the eutectic point is achieved at a temperature of 1147°C. At this point, the percentage amount of carbon is 4.3% by weight.
5. In the iron-iron carbide diagram, what is the carbon percentage by weight at eutectoid point?
6. At what temperature, in the Fe-Fe3C diagram, does the peritectic region occur?
Explanation: In the iron – iron carbide diagram, or the Fe-Fe3C equilibrium diagram, the peritectic transformation occurs at a very high temperature. The temperature point of peritectic reaction takes place is 1492°C.
7. In the iron-iron carbide diagram, what is the carbon percentage by weight in the peritectic region?
8. Carbon pick up can be of what order?
Explanation: In carbon pick up, there is an increase in the carbon content because of absorption from coke, but there is reduction also, because of oxidation. The order of carbon pick up can be of 15%.
9. During metallurgical control, what is the amount of manganese that is lost?
Explanation: During metallurgical control, the amount of manganese lost is about 15%. This loss takes place because of presence of oxygen, that is, an oxidation reaction takes place.
10. Sulphur is present in coke.
Explanation: Sulphur is present in coke, but in a very small composition, approximately 0.5% to 1%, which is picked up by cast iron.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Casting.
To practice all areas of Casting Problems, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.