This set of Pavement Design Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Soil Stabilization – 1”.
1. Using soil stabilization techniques, the ______ parameter of pavement construction can be reduced.
Explanation: The construction cost can be reduced by using locally available soil for the construction of subgrade. Soil stabilization can be used to improve the conditions of the soil if it is found to be weak. This would help in reducing the maintenance cost required for the pavement.
2. Soil stabilization is also called as soil modification.
Explanation: Soil stabilization is related to soil modification but both have different purposes. Soil modification is generally used to reduce the water content of the soil. Soil stabilization, on the other hand, is used to improve the properties of soil such as its strength.
3. Which of the below is not a means of soil stabilization?
a) Using admixtures
b) Using plasticizer
c) Using compaction
d) Using proportioning
Explanation: Soil stabilization is a method of improving the stability of the soil. It can be carried out using different means like the admixtures/stabilizers, controlled compaction and proportioning. Plasticisers is an admixture used in concrete.
4. Which of the below is not a benefit of providing soil stabilization?
a) Increased pavement thickness
b) Reduced plasticity
c) Low permeability
d) Provide all-weather access
Explanation: Using soil stabilization, the thickness of the pavement can be reduced. The stabilized soil will have higher strength and the need for thicker top layers to withstand heavy traffic loads can be reduced.
5. Which of the below options sequentially represents the basic principles involved in soil stabilization?
a) Evaluating property, deciding method, designing mix
b) Evaluating property, designing mix, considering compaction
c) Evaluating property, deciding method, designing mix, considering compaction
d) Evaluating property, considering compaction, deciding method, designing mix
Explanation: The basic principle for soil stabilization involves four steps. The first is to evaluate the properties of soil and understand what is needed, then deciding method to carry out stabilization, design the mix and consider compaction method.
6. What is the method by which electrical stabilization of soils is done?
a) Electro – osmosis
b) Electric stabilizer
c) Electric compaction
d) Electro – modification
Explanation: The electric stabilization method is useful in stabilizing clayey soils and it is called electro-osmosis. It is an expensive method and is widely used for draining water from cohesive soils.
7. What is the most commonly used modifier in case of highly plastic soil?
c) Calcium chloride
Explanation: Certain stabilizers when added to the weak soil in small amounts are found to modify the property. These are called modifiers. Lime is commonly employed in high plastic soils to change the plasticity property of the soil.
8. Grouting is the best method to stabilize clayey soils.
Explanation: Grouting involves the injection of stabilizers into the soil. The clayey soils are not permeable, so the stabilization by the process of grouting cannot be the best method to stabilize clayey soils. The method can be carried out using polymer, bitumen or any chemicals.
9. Which of the below is not an important performance criterion for geotextiles acting as drains?
Explanation: Geotextiles can serve various purposes when used for soil stabilization. It can act as a drain and the important performance criteria are mass, permeability and transmissivity. Resistance is the criteria for the function of protection.
10. ______ method can be used to obtain stable in-situ soil without admixtures.
Explanation: Using the method of proportioning, the in-situ soil and locally available aggregates can be mixed in such proportions to obtain a stable mix. This is a trial and error process, which requires the testing of various mix proportions of soil and aggregate mix.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Pavement Design.
To practice all areas of Pavement Design, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Pavement Design
- Participate in Pavement Design Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Pavement Design
- Take Pavement Design Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Pavement Analysis and Design Books
- Buy Civil Engineering Books
- Practice Civil Engineering MCQs
- Apply for Pavement Analysis and Design Internship
- Apply for Civil Engineering Internship