This set of Pavement Design Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Highway Maintenance – Quality Control – 2”.
1. IRC:43-1972 is referred to for quality control guidelines regarding which topic below?
a) Tools, equipment and appliances for rigid pavement
b) Tools, equipment and appliances for flexible pavement
c) Mix proportioning for rigid pavement
d) Mix proportioning for flexible pavements
Explanation: IRC:43-1972 is used for obtaining the guidelines on the tools, equipment and appliances that are used for quality control in the construction of rigid pavements. IRC:44-1972 is used for guidelines regarding the mix proportioning for rigid pavements.
2. What does the code IRC:SP:57-2000 deal with?
a) Guidelines for quality of construction
b) Guidelines for quality of maintenance
c) Guidelines for quality systems
d) Guidelines for quality control
Explanation: IRC:SP:57-2000 is the code used to give the guidelines on the quality systems for roads. This deals with designing quality systems for all types of activities to be done on roads. It mainly gives ideas about quality assurance.
3. The aim of quality control is to prevent the defect.
Explanation: Quality control aims at finding the defect and improving it. Quality assurance is the term used to refer to the process of preventing the defect from taking place. Both terms are not the same as each other.
4. Table 3.3 in IRC:SP:11-1984 gives the summary of control tests for ______
a) DBM sub-base
b) WBM base
c) DBM base
d) WBM sub-base
Explanation: Table 3.3 summarizes the various control tests, their frequency of conductance and the code of reference for a WBM sub-base. There are tables with the same information for different types of sub-base like stone, brick soling, soil-gravel, mechanical-stabilized, lime-stabilized, cement modified soil and sand-bitumen mix.
5. The testing of parameters should be done in the proportion as ______ by the junior engineer, ______ by the executive engineer and ______ by the chief executive engineer.
a) 80, 10, 10 %
b) 70, 25, 5 %
c) 80, 15, 5 %
d) 70, 20, 10 %
Explanation: The tests to be carried out for ensuring quality control on the pavements is to be split among the levels of the engineers responsible for it. Most of the testing i.e. 70 % is done by the junior engineer. Then 20 % by the executive engineer and 10 % by the chief executive engineer.
6. What is the frequency of conducting the test for the quality of binder in the case of a bituminous penetration macadam?
b) As required
c) Once per 500 m3
d) Once per 200 m3
Explanation: The quality of the binder should be tested as and when required. This has been clearly mentioned in Table 4.2 of IRC:SP:11-1984. Bituminous penetration macadam is used as a base course and it is necessary to check the quality of the binder as the need arises.
7. The checking of the transverse profile of the pavement is done with the help of ______
c) Straight edge
Explanation: The checking of the transverse profile of the pavement is done using camber boards or templates. The longitudinal profile is checked using a straight edge and wedge. A float is a tool that is used to smoothen the surface of concrete work.
8. The allowable tolerance of horizontal alignment for carriageway edges is ±25 mm.
Explanation: The horizontal alignment of the pavement must also be checked for its quality and prevent major failures. The tolerance of the same has been laid down in clause 7.2.2 IRC:SP:11-1984. For all highways except hill roads, the tolerance for carriageway edges is ±25 mm.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Pavement Design.
To practice all areas of Pavement Design, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Pavement Design
- Participate in Pavement Design Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Pavement Design
- Take Pavement Design Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Apply for Pavement Analysis and Design Internship
- Practice Civil Engineering MCQs
- Buy Civil Engineering Books
- Buy Pavement Analysis and Design Books
- Apply for Civil Engineering Internship