This set of Pavement Design Question Paper focuses on “Construction of Flexible Pavement – 2″.
1. The process of compacting the materials in the construction of pavements is called ______
Explanation: Rolling is the process of compacting the materials by using rollers. It compacts the materials that have been spread on the base and the construction of the pavement proceeds. The setting of the pavement takes place after the whole process is over.
2. Which of the below compaction equipment and the type of soil compacted has been matched incorrectly?
a) Pneumatic rollers – fine sands
b) Vibrator – cohesionless soils
c) Jetting – cohesive soils
d) Sheepsfoot roller – clayey soils
Explanation: Jetting and ponding are types of compacting soils using the technique of watering. These are generally employed for compacting cohesionless soils. Rollers are of different types too; the pneumatic roller is used for fine sands and the sheepsfoot roller is used for clayey soils. Vibrator is used for cohesionless soils.
3. In cold mix type bituminous construction, what is the temperature of the aggregates used for the mixing?
a) 10 °C
b) 106 °C
c) Atmospheric temperature
d) Apparent temperature
Explanation: There are two ways available for the mixing of bituminous mixes. In the cold mix construction type, the aggregates at atmospheric temperature are mixed with bituminous material in cold state or is slightly heated. The aggregates are heated and then mixed with hot bituminous material in the case of hot mix type construction.
4. The sub-base material is spread using which equipment?
a) Motor grader
Explanation: Motor grader is an equipment that can be used for multipurpose. It can be used to move, level, spread and even mixing the soil mass. Therefore, the sub-base material can be spread using the motor grader.
5. What does the term BSD stand for?
a) Bitumen Standard Dressing
b) Bituminous Standard Dressing
c) Bituminous Surface Dressing
d) Bitumen Surface Dressing
Explanation: BSD stands for Bituminous Surface Dressing. It is a type of bituminous construction. It deals with the coating of the existing flexible pavement with bitumen so as to provide a weathering coat to it. Surface dressing is usually a single coat but can be applied in two layers also.
6. Which of the below is not a type of aggregate spreader equipment?
a) Whirlpool spreader
b) Self-propelled spreader
c) Vane spreader
d) Hopper spreader
Explanation: In order to spread the coarse aggregates for the construction process, the aggregate spreader equipment is used. There are for types of them in use – whirl spreader, vane spreader, hopper spreader and self-propelled spreader. There is no whirlpool spreader.
7. Interface treatment is provided when the maintenance of the pavement is carried out.
Explanation: Interface treatment is provided whenever a new layer is to be laid over an existing layer and it is not restricted to the maintenance works alone. It includes removing dust by cleaning and applying a thin coat of bitumen binder.
8. In the construction process of surface dressing, which of the below is laid on the prepared base first?
a) Tack coat
b) Coarse aggregates
Explanation: After the surface is prepared, first the binder is laid and over which the screenings or stone chippings are sprinkled. Then they are rolled to allow proper binding.
9. How is the rolling process carried out in the construction of flexible pavements?
a) From centre to sides
b) From sides to centre
c) From top to bottom
d) From bottom to top
Explanation: The rolling in flexible pavements can be carried out horizontally only, so the options involving vertical movement i.e. top and bottom cannot be possible. The rolling is done from the sides or the edges of the road towards the centre of the road. It makes the camber right and uniform rolling is done.
10. Mastic asphalt type construction leads to a voidless mass.
Explanation: Mastic asphalt makes use of a mixture of bitumen, fine aggregate and filler in appropriate amounts. The mastic asphalt is in a flowing consistency at 200 °C and it hardens at atmospheric temperature. Hence, it can easily form a voidless mass without compaction.
11. Which of the below is considered to be much superior to other types of base course?
a) Bituminous carpet
b) Bituminous concrete
c) Bituminous macadam
d) Bituminous sheet
Explanation: Bituminous macadam is also called bituminous bound macadam or BBM. It can be used as a base course and it is comprised of one or more courses of crushed aggregates premixed with bitumen binder. The strong layers make it superior to other types.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Pavement Design.
To practice all questions papers on Pavement Design, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Pavement Design
- Participate in Pavement Design Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Pavement Design
- Take Pavement Design Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice Civil Engineering MCQs
- Buy Pavement Analysis and Design Books
- Apply for Pavement Analysis and Design Internship
- Apply for Civil Engineering Internship
- Buy Civil Engineering Books