This set of Pavement Design Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Pavement Design Process – 1”.
1. ______ design needs to be conducted during the early phase of the project.
Explanation: Before the work begins, it is necessary to have a preliminary design available. The design would suggest how the design process must be carried forward. Using this, the viability, risks associated and the project fund can be controlled.
2. What is the factor that ensures a good pavement design process?
Explanation: Effective communication between all levels of the personnel involved in the project is the most important thing that makes the project successful. The planning, analysis, design, construction, and maintenance must be agreed on and done in a way that reduces cost and improves life.
3. Which method is used to determine the most cost-effective design and construction procedure?
a) Cost-benefit analysis
b) Deductive economic analysis
c) Life cycle cost analysis
d) Inductive economic analysis
Explanation: In order to know the most cost-effective method to be adopted, it is necessary to conduct the life cycle cost analysis of the various proposed design methods. Cost-benefit analysis is done to evaluate the project giving maximum benefit with the least investment. Inductive and deductive methods are used for economic analysis.
4. Which of the below is not a pavement design category?
a) New pavement
b) Pavement reconstruction
c) Pavement rehabilitation
d) Pavement demolition
Explanation: Pavement demolition is not a pavement design category. For the categories of reconstruction and rehabilitation, the step of demolishing the pavement may be included.
5. What step comes after the initial strategy is decided in the life cycle cost analysis method?
a) Estimating costs
b) Analyzing results
c) Evaluating strategies
d) Comparing alternatives
Explanation: There are four basic steps involved in the life cycle cost analysis of the pavement. The first step is to make the initial strategy. Then the next step is to estimate the costs, then compare the alternatives and finally analyze the results and reevaluate the alternatives.
6. A parallel road is an example of new pavement construction.
Explanation: The transformation of a two-lane highway into a divided four-lane highway may include the construction of a new parallel road. The construction of the road is considered to be an example of new pavement construction.
7. Which of the below is not a user cost considered in the life cycle cost analysis?
a) Sunk cost
b) Delay costs
c) Vehicle operating cost
d) Crash costs
Explanation: Sunk costs are a special type of cost that comes under the agency cost head. They are irrevocable costs. The user costs can be considered as the sum of three separate costs – vehicle operating cost, user delay cost and crash cost.
8. What is the first step in the construction process of a new pavement?
a) Site investigation
b) Traffic data
c) Determining cross-section
d) Evaluate drainage
Explanation: In order to construct a new pavement, it is necessary to know if the pavement at that location is required. The traffic data gives an idea of whether there is a need for the construction of a new pavement there. Only after that the site investigation has to be carried out.
9. What is the main aim of the pavement design process?
Explanation: The pavement design mainly aims at determining the total thickness of the pavement. The thickness of each layer of the pavement is found out by designing it with proper inputs and then the total thickness is found out.
10. NPV method is used to estimate the costs in the life cycle cost analysis.
Explanation: The NPV method is the net present value method. It is used to evaluate the best from the alternatives. The method represents the project costs as time-based. The estimation of cost is done by accounting for the various agency and user costs.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Pavement Design.
To practice all areas of Pavement Design, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Pavement Design
- Participate in Pavement Design Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Pavement Design
- Take Pavement Design Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Pavement Analysis and Design Books
- Practice Civil Engineering MCQs
- Apply for Pavement Analysis and Design Internship
- Buy Civil Engineering Books
- Apply for Civil Engineering Internship