This set of Dairy Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Quality – 1”.
1. The milk fat differential used in paying for raw milk is?
a) The price to be added or subtracted per 1/10 % of milk fat above or below a set percentage
b) A value established to penalize milk producers who have too much fat in their milk
c) A value set to penalize milk producers who have too little fat in their milk
d) The price to be added or subtracted per 50 percent of milk fat above or below a set percentage
Explanation: The milk fat differential is the price to be added or subtracted per 1/10 % of milk fat above or below a set percentage.
2. The form of mastitis that is hidden from sight is known as __________________
Explanation: Mastitis is a cow disease. Sub clinical mastitis is a kind of mastitis which is not visible.
3. Which of the following will best control contagious mastitis?
a) Pre-milking teat dip
b) Barrier type teat dip
c) Antibiotic teat dip
d) Germicidal teat dip
Explanation: Contagious mastitis spread from one cattle to another. The best way to control is by Antibiotic teat dip.
4. The Standard Plate Count (SPC) has a prescribed incubation time of _____ hours at _____ ºC.
a) 24 hours at 32ºC
b) 48 hours at 45ºC
c) 48 hours at 32ºC
d) 12 hours at 45ºC
Explanation: Standard plate count test is carried out for 48 hours at 32ºC. It is also known as aerobic plate count.
5. One type of test for antibiotics, common adulterants of milk, is based upon the principle that the growth of bacteria is __________ by them.
Explanation: Antibiotic inhibits growth of bacteria. This principle is used as a principle to check adulterine of milk by the antibiotic.
6. The __________ test is used to detect if milk has been pasteurized properly.
c) Standard Plate Count
Explanation: Pasteurization is the heat treatment for milk in order to kill pathogenic microorganisms. Phosphatase test us used to check proper pasteurization of milk has been carried out.
7. Milk provides__________ and _____________ in approximately the same ratio as found in bone.
a) Calcium and Magnesium
b) Calcium and Phosphorus
c) Calcium and Iron
d) Phosphorus and Magnesium
Explanation: Calcium and phosphorus are provided by milk. They are provided approximately the same ratio as found in bone.
8. Which of the following is not a cause of coliform mastitis?
a) Cracked or split inflations
b) Milking too soon after calving
c) Using excessive water in washing udders
d) Slightly damp, warm bedding
Explanation: Coliform mastitis caused by several reasons. Milking too soon after calving is not one of the reasons.
9. About ____________ percent of the calcium available in the food supply is provided by milk and milk products.
Explanation: Milk is a major source of calcium in the body. About 76% off calcium is provided by milk and milk products.
10. Which of the following directly influence(s) the total supply of milk?
a) Prices paid milk producers
b) Manufacturing plants
c) Costs of fat production
d) Foreign exports
Explanation: Milk supply is governed by several factors. Prices paid to milk producers have a direct influence on the total supply of the milk.
11. The pasteurized Milk Ordinance regulates what?
a) Grade A milk
b) Manufacturing grade milk
c) Grade B milk
d) Grade C milk
Explanation: Pasteurized milk ordinance is responsible for regulating Grade A milk.
12. Dairy farmers can buy and sell dairy futures on what exchange?
a) New York Stock Exchange
b) National Dairy Exchange
c) Coffee, Sugar, Coca Exchange
d) Chicago Mercantile Exchange
Explanation: Chicago Mercantile Exchange provides a platform for farmers to buy and sell dairy futures there. It is convenient and transparent process.
13. According to the Food & Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Sciences, all people need at least _________ milligrams of calcium per day.
Explanation: Calcium is an important component of human diet. Dairy requirement of calcium by huan body is about 1000 milligram per day.
14. The cheese price series is based on 63 U.S. cheese plants that make 80-85 percent of the bulk Cheddar. What is the price series called?
a) NASS Cheese Price Survey
b) NASS Cheddar Cheese Price Survey
c) NASS Swiss cheese Price Survey
d) U.S. Cheddar Cheese Price Survey
Explanation: NASS cheddar cheese price survey determines the price of bulk cheddar. The prices are accepted by all.
15. What marketing tool would be used in the futures market by someone who owns a commodity such as milk and intends to sell it sometime in the future?
a) Basis contract
b) Pooling contract
c) Short Hedge
d) Speculating buyer
Explanation: A short hedge is an investment strategy that is focused on mitigating a risk that has already been taken. The “short” portion of the term refers to the act of shorting security, usually a derivatives contract, which hedges against potential losses in an investment that is held long. It will enable the futures market by someone who owns a commodity such as milk and intends to sell it sometime in the future.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Dairy Engineering.
To practice all areas of Dairy Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!