This set of Dairy Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on ” Milk Production – 1″.
1. Off-flavor of milk that may be described as tasteless and the flavor of normal milk lacks in.
a) High acid
Explanation: A watery flavor is a kind of off flavor. Normal milk has a denser taste.
2. Flavor detected by consumption of strong feeds or weeds or milk from cows in late stages of lactation in milk.
Explanation: Strong feed or weed contributes towards the bitter off flavor in the milk.
3. Off-flavors are detected in milk when cows eat obnoxious weeds. The flavor can be recognized by distinctive odor and taste suggested by its name.
Explanation: obnoxious weeds contribute to garlic/onion off flavor in the milk. This off flavor is recognizable by a distinct smell and taste.
4. Off-flavor to milk due to fly spray, paint, kerosene or creosote. These Substances enter milk as direct contaminants or in vapor form.
Explanation: Foreign to milk caused by fly spray, paint, kerosene or creosote.
5. Off-flavor which is pungent in advanced stages and is recognized by its “papery” or cardboard sensation initially and a tallow odor in more advanced stages.
Explanation: Pungency is the characteristic of Oxidized flavor. It has a very distinct carboard sensation as well.
6. This flavor similar to the flavor of stale fat and has a soapy taste and a goaty, unclean odor as a result of breaking down of fats in milk.
Explanation: Due to breakdown of fats in milk rancid flavor resembles the flavor of stale fat and has a soapy taste and a goaty, unclean odor.
7. This off-flavor is rarely found except in pasteurized milk that has been stored too long or stored at a slightly high refrigerator temperature.
c) High acid
Explanation: Unclean flavor is characteristic of the milk which has been stored for prolonged period of time.
8. This off-flavor is a result of bacterial growth (commonly Streptococcus lactic) and will have detectable ________flavor long before it may be classified sour.
a) High acid
Explanation: Streptococcus lactic gives sour off flavor to milk. It initially has a very high acid flavor.
9. Milk inadequately cooled may encounter this off flavor and is caused by improperly cleaned milking machines or equipment.
Explanation: Milk not properly cooled may encounter Malty flavor. Dirty and Unclean machines and equipment contribute to this flavor.
10. Removing offending _____ from cows four hours before milking can reduce the risk of getting this off-flavor milk.
Explanation: Feed plays a major role in flavor of milk. Offending feeds can result in off flavor.
11. A Mastitis test appearance with a strong gel formation that tends to adhere to paddle and forms a distinct central peak would have a Leukocyte count/ml of___________
a) Below 200,000
d) Over 5,000,000
Explanation: Milk having leukocyte count/ml of over 5,000,000 would be characterized by gel formations that tend to adhere to paddle. This milk is considered unfit for consumption.
12. While performing a CMT tests watch for color changes and gel formation. Milk from a normal quarter does which of the following?
a) Gelatinous mass clinging together in a strong reaction
b) Flows freely
c) Gel is fragile and forms small clumps in a moderate reaction
d) Has no pattern, simply is a randomly run test
Explanation: Milk from a normal quarter flows freely when performing a CMT tests.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Dairy Engineering.
To practice all areas of Dairy Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.