This set of Dairy Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Dairy Facts – 2”.
1. The largest U.S. exports of a dairy product by dollars were?
a) Non-fat dry milk
b) Cheese and curd
c) Whey and whey products
Explanation: USA has a huge market for dairy products export. In 2009 the market was highest for Non fat dry milk.
2. The U.S. also imports certain dairy products. The dairy products imported which accounted for the largest dollar value was?
a) Dry whey
b) Milk protein concentrates
c) Casein and casein products
d) Cheese and curd
Explanation: USA also imports a lot of dairy products in order to meet the demand. Cheese and curd are two dairy products which accounted for the largest dollar value in the imported products.
3. Behind the U.S., the country, which averages the largest production per cow, is _____
Explanation: It has been noted the US has the largest production per cow. Following USA is the country named Japan.
4. The country which imported the largest amount of U.S. ice cream and related products was?
Explanation: USA exports a lot of ice cream in order to meet its market demand. The count which imports most of this USA ice cream is Mexico.
5. The minimum fat content of cheddar cheese is?
Explanation: Cheddar cheese is a relatively hard, off-white, sometimes sharp-tasting, natural cheese. It has approximately 50% fat in it.
6. The cheese that has maximum moisture of 45% and a minimum of 45% fat and is a pasta filata cheese is?
Explanation: Provolone is an Italian cheese. It is an aged pasta filata cheese originating in Casilli near Vesuvius, where it is still produced in pear, sausage, or cone shapes varying from 10 to 15 centimeters long. It has about 45% moisture and minimum of 45% fat.
7. Low sodium cheddar cheese contains no more than ________milligrams of sodium per pound of finished food.
Explanation: As opposed to processed cheddar, low sodium cheddar has relatively less amount of sodium in it. It shouldn’t contain no more than 96 milligrams of sodium per pound.
8. Which of the following cheeses did NOT originate in Italy?
Explanation: Italy is the home place to several cheeses. However, Edam is a semi-hard cheese that originated in the Netherlands, and is named after the town of Edam in the province of North Holland.
9. Monterey Jack cheese has a moisture content of 44% percent and a minimum of ___________% fat.
Explanation: Monterey Jack is an American semi hard cheese, customarily white, made using cow’s milk. It has moisture content of 44% and fat of 50 %.
10. If the dairy ingredients to be pasteurized have a fat content of 10% or more, the specified temperature shall be increased by ______degrees F.
Explanation: Fat content of the product alters the temperature requirement for pasteurization. It needs to be increased by 5 degree F if the fat content of 10% is present in the product.
11. Which of the following cheese is a unripen variety?
Explanation: Most of the lactose is removed when these cheeses are made. Aged (ripened) cheeses like Cheddar generally have less lactose than unripened (fresh) cheeses like cream cheese. Due to the creaming mixture used, creamed cottage cheese has slightly more lactose than dry curd cottage cheese.
12. One serving (8oz) of milk has about ______milligrams of calcium.
Explanation: Milk is an important source of calcium for our body. It has about 250 milligrams of calcium per 8 oz.
13. Ice cream must weight a minimum _______pounds to the gallon.
Explanation: Ice cream need to meet certain regulation. It should be a minimum weight of 4.5 pounds to a gallon.
14. The natural lipase enzyme contained in all raw milk is kept away from milk fat globules, thus preventing development of rancidity because the:
a) Fat globule membrane is a protective layer which covers the fat globules
b) The major protein, casein, ties up the lipase
c) Fat globules are very small to attract the enzyme until they are homogenized
d) Enzyme has to be activated by the heat of pasteurization
Explanation: Rancidity is caused by a chemical development, which continues until the milk is pasteurized. It involves lipase and other enzymes, which react with the milk fat. Keeping lipase away from the milk allows the fat globules to develop a membrane which covers it.
15. Cooperatives Working Together (CWT) is the ______program that aims to strengthen and stabilize milk prices by balancing supply and demand.
a) State funded
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: Cooperatives Working Together (CWT) is a program designed exclusively by America’s dairy farmers for the benefit of America’s dairy farmers. It is a voluntary farmer-funded national program which is developed by the National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF), to preserve dairy family farmer businesses.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Dairy Engineering.
To practice all areas of Dairy Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.