This set of Dairy Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Dairy Facts – 1”.
1. According to USDA’s economic research service, total per capita of all fluid products was approximately _________ pounds.
Explanation: USDA is responsible for accounting the total production of fluid products. According to its report, the total per capita of all fluid products summed up to be a total of 177 pounds.
2. Approximately ______% of the frozen dessert market was ice cream (Hard and soft and low-fat/non-fat).
Explanation: Frozen dessert market has a variety of products from frozen dessert to ice cream. Ice cream accounts for approximately 86.7% of the frozen dessert market.
3. More than _____ % of American household purchase cheese; including cream cheese.
Explanation: Cheese is a very popular dairy commodity. It is purchased by approximately 96% American households.
4. Cheese consumption in the U.S. was approximately ______ pounds per capita.
Explanation: Cheese consumption is one of the highest among all dairy products. It accounts for approximately 32 pounds per capita.
5. The two most popular cheese varieties in the U.S. are?
a) Cheddar and Monterey Jack
b) Cheddar and Colby
c) Cheddar and Mozzarella
d) Cheddar and Swiss
Explanation: Cheese has several varieties. Cheddar and Mozzarella are the two most famous varieties among all.
6. The Italian cheese with the second largest per capita consumption was?
Explanation: Provolone is an Italian cheese. It has the second largest per capita consumption.
7. The largest supermarket sales of cheese by type was?
c) Processed American
d) Colby Jack
Explanation: Among the several varieties of the cheeses sold in the supermarket, Cheddar has the largest supermarket sales.
8. In 2009, the annual farm milk price was about $_________ per hundredweight, down $5.60 per hundredweight from 2008.
Explanation: Annual farm milk price keeps fluctuating each year. In 2009 it was about $ 12.80 per hundred weights which was down $5.60 per hundredweight from 2008.
9. The milk-feed price ration (which relates the value of milk to the cost of feed) averaged _______in 2009 far below the 1999-2008 values.
Explanation: The milk-feed price ratio is a measure of the value of 16% protein ration (feed) to one pound of whole milk. As with the hog/corn ratio, this relationship is an indicator of the profitability of milk production. It was 1.78 in 2009 far below the 1999-2008 values.
10. The minimum price for all four classes of milk from the farm in 2009 compared to 2008:
a) Increases slightly
b) Increased a large amount
c) Remained the same
Explanation: Price of milk keeps fluctuating each year. The minimum price for the milk in 2009 has decreased compared to the prices in 2008.
11. The average Federal order price per hundredweight in 2009 for class 1 milk was _______dollars per hundredweight.
Explanation: Federal order price is reported per hundred weight. In 2009 for the class 1 milk this price was 14.4 dollar per hundred weights.
12. The 2009 dairy export value was over 2 billion dollars down approximately ________% over 2008.
Explanation: In 2008 the dairy export value was very high. This saw a tremendous decrease by 40% in 2009.
13. The largest total exported dairy product by volume in 2009 was?
a) Cheese and curd
b) Dry whey
c) Non-fat dry milk
Explanation: As opposed to belief that cheese has the maximum export. It has been noted that the maximum export of the dairy product was reported to be that of lactose.
14. The country that was the largest purchaser of U.S. dairy products in 2009 was?
Explanation: US dairy products are exported all over the world. In 2009 Mexico was the largest purchaser of the US dairy products.
15. Five countries accounted for approximately _______% of the total U.S. dairy exports.
Explanation: Dairy products from the USA are exported all over the world. Five countries accounted for almost 59% of the total US dairy exports.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Dairy Engineering.
To practice all areas of Dairy Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.