This set of Dairy Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Livestock”.
1. How much does a bushel of shelled corn weigh?
a) 20 pounds
b) 30 pounds
c) 40 pounds
d) 50 pounds
Explanation: One bushel of shelled corn weighs 50 pounds on average, whereas a bushel of corn ears weighs about 70 pounds.
2. When should one start recording a heifers heat periods?
a) 2-3 months before she should be bred
b) 3-4 months before she should be bred
c) 4-5 months before she should be bred
d) 1-2 months before she should be bred
Explanation: Heifer heat period should be recorded. It is advised that the heat period should be started recorded 2-3 months prior to heifer breeding.
3. Which of the following is not a variety of cheese?
Explanation: There are many variety of cheese. Some of them are Blue, brick, cheddar, cottage, limburger, Monterey, mozzarella, muenster, provolone, swiss.
4. What are the physical characteristics of a quality fore udder in a dairy cow?
a) Strongly and smoothly attached, moderate length and uniform width from front to rear
Explanation: Udders are an important organ in cow’s body. They should be strongly and smoothly attached, moderate length and uniform width from front to rear.
5. What does PDCA stand for?
a) pure dairy culling association
b) Pure dairy cattle area
c) Purebred dairy cattle association
d) Plant dairy cattle area
Explanation: PDCA stands for Purebred dairy cattle association. It deals with cattle of parents of same breed.
6. What is the name of one of the 4 compartments of a ruminant’s stomach?
Explanation: Ruminant stomach has 4 parts. The four parts are namely, Rumen, reticulum, omasum, and abomasums.
7. At what age can a heifer be bred?
a) 1 year
b) 2 year
c) 13- 15 months
d) 3-4 months
Explanation: Heifer can be bred only after a certain age. This age is usually 13-15 months.
8. What is the name of cheese with holes?
Explanation: Swiss cheese has characteristic holes in it. It has a distinct flavor.
9. What is a measure of the average additional pounds of milk and fat the bull will transmit to his daughters called?
a) Predicted difference
d) Milking capacity
Explanation: Predicted Transmitting Ability is the predicted difference of a parent animal’s offspring from average, due to the genes transmitted from that parent.
10. How do dairy producers improve the inherited ability of cattle to produce greater amounts of milk?
a) through culling
b) through tasting
c) through nutrition
d) through selection
Explanation: Dairy producers are very particular about the milk output. They improve cattle inherited milking ability through selection.
11. What is the average length of standing heat?
a) 10 hours
b) 4 hours
c) 18 hours
d) 20 hours
Explanation: Heat standing is one of the practices. It lasts usually 18 hours.
12. What is the name of the milk sugar found only in milk?
Explanation: Lactose is the milk sugar. It is found in milk.
13. What is the sire rating for milk of a sire with a predicted difference of above 2000?
a) super less
b) super extra
Explanation: Such a rating will be characterized as super extra. All the other options do not apply.
14. What is a sign which tells that calving is near?
I. udder begin to swell
II. vulva becomes swollen and discharges present
III. area around tail head appears sunken
IV. heifer will lie down and strain
a) I and II
b) II and III
c) I only
d) I, II, III and IV
Explanation: Calving is near can be predicted from several signs. Udder begins to swell; vulva becomes swollen and discharges present; area around tail head appears sunken; heifer will lie down and strain are some of the signs.
15. If a cow is observed in heat in the morning, when should she be bred?
a) next morning
b) the afternoon the same day
c) the night the same day
d) the next afternoon
Explanation: If the cow is observed in heat for 18 hours in the morning. It is advised that it should be bred on the afternoon of the same day.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Dairy Engineering.
To practice all areas of Dairy Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.