This set of Aerospace Materials and Processes Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Properties of Copper and its Alloys-1”.
1. Muntz metal consists of ___________ copper and __________ zinc.
a) 75%, 25%
b) 25%, 75%
c) 50%, 50%
d) 60%, 40%
Explanation: Muntz metal is a type of brass. It consists of both copper and zinc. Composition wise, there is 60% copper and 40% zinc. It has several distinct properties which vary depending on if it is heat-treated or not.
2. Manganese bronze is remarkably ___________
a) difficult to forge
d) low in zinc
Explanation: Manganese bronze is a type of brass that typically has a high amount of zinc. It has various good properties, one of the most important properties being its remarkably high strength. It is not a weak alloy.
3. Brass that consists of around ___________ zinc is highly ductile in nature.
Explanation: Brass is an alloy of copper. The properties of the alloy like ductility vary depending on the composition of the alloy. Brass consisting of around 30% to 35% zinc tends to be highly ductile in nature.
4. The ultimate tensile strength for heat-treated muntz metal is __________
a) 80,000 p.s.i
b) 20,000 p.s.i
c) 60,000 p.s.i
d) 57,000 p.s.i
Explanation: Muntz is a metal consisting of both copper and zinc. It has several advantageous properties, like being corrosion-resistant under certain conditions and possessing high strength when subjected to heat treatments.
5. Brass is primarily made of copper and aluminium.
Explanation: The above statement is incorrect. Brass is an alloy. It is a copper alloy. Brass is typically made almost entirety two elements. The two primary elements are copper and zinc. Not aluminium.
6. Manganese bronze is made of around 57% to 60% of __________
Explanation: Manganese bronze is made of several elements in varying quantities of combinations. It is made of around 57% to 60% copper, 0.8% to 2.0% iron and also approximately 0.5% manganese (maximum).
7. The density of beryllium copper is __________
a) 8.24 gram per cubic centimeters
b) 26 gram per cubic centimeters
c) 13.24 gram per cubic centimeters
d) 4.98 gram per cubic centimeters
Explanation: Beryllium copper is an alloy of copper. It has a density of 8.24 gram per cubic centimeters. It is made by adding various metals and elements to obtain certain kinds of specific properties that make it better.
8. Which of the following are properties of beryllium copper?
a) Low-strength, non-magnetic
b) Low-strength, magnetic
c) Magnetic, high-strength
d) High-strength, non-magnetic
Explanation: Beryllium copper is an alloy. It has numerous advantageous or desirable properties. One of the advantageous properties of beryllium copper is its high strength. Another property is its non-magnetic nature.
9. A casting type of manganese bronze called manganese-aluminium alloy includes approximately __________ of tin.
Explanation: Manganese bronze is an alloy of copper. It is also available in different variants, one of which is manganese-aluminium alloy. It is made of approximately 0.5% of tin and approximately 0.2% of lead (maximum).
10. Beryllium copper consists of around ___________ of beryllium.
b) 2 to 2.25%
c) 10 to 15%
d) 26 to30%
Explanation: Beryllium copper is an alloy that consists of around 2% to 2.25% of beryllium. It is a non-magnetic and high-strength alloy. It is also attainable in several other forms like sheets, strips, bars etc.
11. The ultimate tensile strength of sand cast Hy-Ten-Sl-Bronze is __________
a) 75,000 p.s.i
b) 115,000 p.s.i
c) 999,000 p.s.i
d) 229,000 p.s.i
Explanation: Hy-Ten-Sl-Bronze is an alloy that has an extremely high amount of strength. The ultimate tensile strength of sand cast Hy-Ten-Sl-Bronze is 115,000 p.s.i. This alloy is also available in four other types/variants.
12. Manganese bronze possesses the property of being corrosion resistant.
Explanation: The above statement is correct. One of the beneficial properties of manganese bronze is it’s resistance to corrosion. It is also known for being an alloy that has remarkable strength and toughness.
13. Which of the following are properties of Hy-Ten-Sl-Bronze?
a) wear-prone, corrosive
b) wear-resistant, non-corrosive
c) wear-resistant, corrosive
d) wear-prone, non-corrosive
Explanation: Hy-Ten-Sl-Bronze is an alloy that is non-corrosive in nature. It is also known to be wear-resistant. Hy-Ten-Sl-Bronze is also an alloy that is easily machinable in nature and has high hardness.
14. A type of casting of manganese bronze called manganese-aluminium alloy consists of approximately __________ of aluminium
a) 60 to 68%
b) 2 to 4%
c) 3 to 7.5%
Explanation: Manganese-aluminium alloy is a type of manganese bronze alloy. It consists of approximately 2.5% to 5.0% of manganese. It also consists of around 60% to 68% copper and 2.0% to 4.0% of iron.
15. Which of the following elements is occasionally present in brass is minor amounts?
a) Cooper, lead
b) Iron, vanadium
d) Iron, lead
Explanation: Brass is an alloy of copper. While it is a combination of only two elements in different quantities, occasionally minor quantities of other elements can be added. Elements like iron, lead, aluminium etc.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Aerospace Materials and Processes.
To practice all areas of Aerospace Materials and Processes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.